Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Day The Music Died

Today is a day I dread all year long. I can barely pull myself out of the depressive state I am in. I am joking, but tonight Eric informed me that today is the anniversary of Kurt Cobain's death.

He said that on the radio the D.J.'s were talking about how everyone remembers exactly where they were and exactly what they were doing when they heard the news. I could tell by the look on Eric's face that he thought that was ridiculous, but he could probably tell by the look on mine that I did not. I happen to remember it in vivid detail.

I was at a gig (which is what we called concerts where I grew up in Cache Valley). My boyfriend Trent was playing with his Ska band Model Citizen (which I totally thought was the coolest band around). I heard the news right before they went on, and did not believe it at first. I even remember what I was wearing, which I will now detail for you. I was wearing my best friend Kate's clothes, which included a Cat In The Hat t-shirt, underneath an overall dress she had made. I think I happened to look very cool that night, sufficiently cool to hear this shocking news.

Do you remember this day?

6 comments:

Jossie said...

What an interesting story :-) I don't remember it at all but I seem to remember liking country music a lot right around that same time so I don't even think I knew who Kurt Cobain was. Lame, I know, lol!

Autumn said...

I remember this day but in not as much detail as you!! I just remember he was at the height of his musical career! I remember moshing to his music. It was said to hear such talent go to waste on drugs!!

Cardalls said...

do not remember it at all :). But maybe if I had had a cool musician boyfriend and wore a Cat in the Hat t-shirt I might have :)

Kate said...

I was driving on the highway with my mom to Rally (when all the Job's Daughters in the state of Utah got together) and it was on the radio. We were in between Brigham City and Ogden where the road curves right before Smith and Edwards. Funny that you were wearing that AWESOME outfit. Do you remember that we went to INXS soon after and we were all wondering if they would play "Suicide Blond" and if it would be shocking to everyone. Michael Hutchence (the lead singer) talked about how the music world had lost such great talent. They did play it but not until much later. ALSO (sorry this is practically a blog post)do you remember that we saw Nirvana, INXS and Material Issue live in concert (the last two played together) and all three lead singers died of possible suicides soon after? The 90's were kind of depressing. But the clothes were so totally not embarrassing. Right?

Rachael said...

I don't remember this day at all and I still don't get the hype with him. Yet another difference between you and I-but we still remain friends!
Eric-I am with you on this one!

Eric said...

Thanks Rachael! I don't remember any details other than it was all over the place on the news. (Then again, I don't remember what I was wearing yesterday, let alone 15 years ago!) I liked the guys music, but don't get the obsession.