Monday, October 12, 2009

Crash-In Camera And Potato Form

My camera has completely died. I don't even want to do anything fun, because really what is the point if I can't take pictures! But the good news is I ordered my new camera today (woo-hoo!!) Unfortunately it won't be here for at least another week. So much for instant gratification. I would love to go to the store and purchase it right now, but I love saving money even more. I saved $150 by ordering on-line! I don't like buying anything new if my older model is working just fine (hence my circa 1980's television), so maybe my camera did me a favor. But I will put out into the universe that I don't need any more favors such as that. I am perfectly content with my old television, appliances and computer. For your viewing pleasure:A quick note. As I was writing this post, I thought of something, left the computer, entered the kitchen, and stood there, realizing I could not remember why I came in there at all. Sad, isn't it?

Anyway, last week I tried 2 new Pioneer Woman recipes. First up,

CRASH HOT POTATOES

Try to ignore the ugly cookie sheet. I needed a big one, and it is my biggest. I really enjoyed these. Crispy peel, soft center. The only problem was I added a bit too much Kosher salt. She says to be quite generous with it, but apparently I need to better understand the use of that word when it comes to cooking.

Next up,

PEACH CRISP WITH MAPLE CREAM SAUCE
(just think how much nicer my food pictures will look when my new camera arrives)

I have been wanting to try this since two of my Rachel friends (Rachel and Rachael) raved about it. I always enjoy a fruit based dessert, and this time was no exception. However, I had to buy real Maple Syrup to make it. Oy Vey!! (Seriously if I were Jewish I would use that term all of the time.) Real Maple Syrup is expensive. I just kept thinking about how much syrup Eric and the kids use when we make pancakes or waffles, and how much money we would be spending if we used real maple syrup!

"Would you have delayed gratification and ordered the camera on-line to save $150?
"Do you often walk into rooms, realizing you have no idea why you are there?
Have you priced REAL maple syrup lately?"

9 comments:

Kate said...

Maple syrup is so expensive but also so worth it. Yummy!

Kerri said...

That looks like the Canon Rebel and it is very nice! I would definitely put off and ordered it on-line to save $150! Yes, I often go many places (not just around my house) and think what am I doing? I attribute that to having 3 kids!

bloodfamily said...

I am so excited for your new camera. It would have been really hard to order on line. I am a total INSTANT gratification person. $150 is alot of money though. Good job. I not only walk into rooms, but I go to the store for one particular thing, and walk out with everything BUT that. I haven't purchased real maple syrup in quite awhile, but I am with you - if I had to use it for everytime my kids ate waffles/pancakes - I'd have to take out a loan! Those potatoes are very yummy!

Kellie DeMille said...

I thought I was using real maple syrup. I guess I am glad I don't know what I'm missing if it's that pricey. Saturday I forgot I was in charge of an activity and was on my way to Marie Callandars for lunch when I got a call wondering where I was. Kids fry the brain!

Melissa Summers said...

I just might have paid the extra $150 for the instant gratification. Not really but I would have been tempted to. I am constantly forgetting what I am doing. My favorite is when I put the milk in the cupboard and the cereal in the fridge. Never tried real maple syrup and apparently I never will.

KaySea said...

I think I have already forgotten your questions. I love the new camera. We just got a new waterproof one a couple months ago. Bought it online too and saved a ton. It was worth it. I always forget what I am doing or getting out of another room. The other part of it is I may ask another family member if they knew what I was going to get. Like they would know. I still ask, weird. As for maple syrup, I love the real stuff, but it is real expensive and I may splurge once in a while for it. Have the best recipe for banana cream pie if you want to try it, and we need to get these girls together again.

Rachael said...

SOOOOO excited you finally got the camera!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah!!!!! is it is XTi or another one? EXCITING!!!
I hate when I have NO idea what I was suppose to be doing or what I entered a room to get.
Love those potatoes! Also the peach cobbler!
We use both syrups...I HATE real maple syrup so we have a bottle that Steve uses and then the cheap stuff the rest of us use. It is crazy expensive-get a large bottle at Costco though! Much cheaper!
I too love that saying, Oh Vey! My cousin who married Jewish uses it...I think you should start using it! It is funny!

Rachel H. said...

I am a convert to real maple syrup, and I think the fresh and easy brand is the best, has a nice sweetness to it. Since michael is such a waffle addict, I moved to real maple syrup because I couldn't in good conscience give him high fructose corn syrup on a daily basis. So it is expensive, but worth the cost.
Did you love the maple cream?
I am jealous of your camera, that is what I want when mark starts working! My reward!

Amy Darrington-Baird said...

I say yes to all three questions. I hate ordering online because I want my stuff NOW but I am also cheap and my cheapness often over rides my impatience.

What was the second question?ha ha

I confess to buying the real deal because it doesn't have high fructose corn syrup.