Thursday, October 1, 2009

California Girl

I have a really good friend. She lives in California. She's really funny. And outgoing. And down to earth. And smart. And open minded. And she sends me books. Really, what more could I want in a friend? And she reads my blog. So this post is sent out as a big thank you to Behnaz (or Bacteria, or Benad) for always keeping my reading material current.

Try not to judge me too harshly. I was hugely pregnant when this picture was taken. Also try to imagine a picture of a big box of books. I would have a picture, but my DAMN (and I am using the word damn because I am so mad) camera is not working!

One little story I would like to tell about Behnaz (who most of her friends call Naz, but for some reason I cannot make myself call any friend by a shortened version of their name. Rachael this is why I cannot physically or mentally make myself call you Rach). Anyway, I was working as a counselor at a clinic, when our supervisor told us they had hired a new counselor. She made it a point to mention that the new hire was Persian, and asked us to refrain from giving out any personal information about another counselor already working at the clinic who was also Persian and a lesbian. She was concerned about her sexual orientation causing problems within the Persian community. So since such a big deal was made about this new hires ethnic status, I developed a picture in my mind of what she was going to look like. It went something like this:

Which would have been fine with me, it just isn't anywhere near what I got.

What I got instead was a genuine California girl, raised in L.A., who loved purses, and became my instant confidant and friend. Isn't it the best when you instantly connect with someone? I could write a book or at least 30 blog posts about our similarities, and inside jokes (stupid idiot), but instead I will once again say thank you for the books, and also give thanks that she came into my life when she did. Oh and she is the first one (after Eric) that I told I was pregnant with Megan.

And one of the very first people to come visit her in the hospital.

3 comments:

Amy Darrington-Baird said...

Everyone should have at least one friend like that!

Rachael said...

oh-I thought I was THAT friend...it must be the politically issues we differ in, standing in the way...JK! What a great post to your friend!
-Rach (haha)

Heidi :) :) ;) said...

It is nice to have good friends. It sounds like your friend is a sweetie.