I used to be able to distract her. I would say things like, "Let's
flyyyyy into your car seat." Or I would pick her up right as we were walking out the door, and run as fast as I could to the car, hoping to stifle her independent spirit. Also to make the neighbors wonder why I was so weird. But it no longer works. She's
privy to all of my tricks. And unless I want to have a car ride filled, and I do mean FILLED with SCREAMING, I have to bow to her demands, and let her independence out. So now, I leave the house 3 minutes earlier, to allow Sade to climb into her
carseat BY HERSELF!
The Process:

It looks as if she is about ready to start the actual climb into her chair.

But wait! Something on the floor has caught her eye and she has determined she must have it. Insert extra 15 seconds here.


This part is accompanied but lots of grunting. She has to exert a lot of energy, because it is awfully hard for a baby to pull herself up with virtually no hand holds.

Taking a well-deserved break

This is the part where I start to feel like SCREAMING. We are so close to being finished, my patience is running out, and Sadie will refuse to turn around and sit herself down. Now if I help her with this final step, the SCREAMING commences (on her part).

She's in. And I find out what she found so irresistible on the floor. I can't blame her. Really, who could resist those glasses?

And I can't resist her. Especially when she puts the glasses on top of her head. Like mother, like daughter.
7 comments:
Too cute! I never pray for patience anymore because then I get opportunities like these to get it :)
SOOO cute but totally frustrating!!! I can't stand when they get to that independence stage!!! It will serve her well in the end!
I agree with Rachael, very cute, but also frustrating. Love the pictures and descriptions of the whole process!
Oh i so relate! Emma screams about buckling the car seat, but she cannot do it yet and so we usually have a scream fest, unless i bring chocolate to distract her. like mother like daughter!
That was an awesome documentary in the life of a toddler. Plus I thought it was funny. Brandon does pretty good at getting in the car it is the getting out that drives me crazy. He takes forever to get out while I am standing there with my hands full with all the things I need to take in the house. That is usually when I yell. :)
I love the grunting and the break. So funny.
Oh I so feel your frustration! Tyler has to also do that whole process by himself and he gets distracted like 20 times during it and it normally results in me counting to 3 out loud so that he knows I'm serious about buckleing (sp?) himself in. Argh :-)
Post a Comment