Thursday, July 11, 2013

Utah - Highlights & Lowlights

Recently we took a quick, quick, semi-last minute (we didn't think Eric would be back in town in time) trip to Logan for Eric's family reunion.
Some highlights & lowlights.

First Highlights:

1. We were able to see Eric's 97 year old Grandpa who has unfortunately declined in health this past year. He couldn't make it to much of the reunion but we were grateful we were able to spend a bit of time with him.



Eric's family with Grandpa:



Our family with Grandpa:



(Try to ignore our plastered hair and shiny faces. It was so HOT!)

2. We were also able to visit with my Mom & Ken, albeit for only and hour or two:



The sunset that night was beautiful:



3. Games! Lots and lots of games. Like Bingo:



Jackson was the first to get Bingo, which was a thrill for him:



I just can't help myself from posting the photos that show Sade annoyed with me:



Eric's parents as emcee's:



Plus other games like water balloon volleyball:



Parachuting:



Ball playing with cousins:



And scavenger hunts:



4. A major highlight of this trip was that Megan got to see that she is not the only one with parents who like to tease and embarrass their kids. Eric's brothers are pretty good at it too. Plus she lost a few of her inhibitions and even performed Karaoke!



5. Swimming with cousins! Highlight for sure.



6. Relaxing by the shaded river. Highlight! Especially since it was so HOT.



7. Early morning golfing and finding deer on the course. Highlight for Eric.



8. I have two sister-in-laws that have had babies in the last 2 months, so a highlight for all of us was getting to hold them, and then getting to pass them back to their moms and dads when they started to cry.





9. During part of the reunion we did a family service project. It involved cutting some sort of non-native weed down so it would not spread into the canyon. Now I enjoy a good service project, but one at 3 in the afternoon in the middle of a heat wave was a bit trying. Good thing we are Las Vegans and used to a little heat.



10. My final highlight: Getting to visit Logan in the summer. I maintain that there is no better place.



Now for a couple of lowlights:

1. Eric's immediate family was spending a few days at Bear Lake after the reunion. Unfortunately Eric had to be back for work and couldn't get out of it so we couldn't go this year. We were all disappointed but Jackson was beyond disappointed. I have truly never seen him so upset.



We were able to enjoy one late afternoon and evening there, but I think it may have just rubbed salt in Jackson's wounds. It broke our hearts to see him so upset.

2. THE DRIVE! Sadie was TERRIBLE. HORRENDOUS. ATROCIOUS. Crying, whining, annoying. It is only 8 hours but felt like 24.



Jackson actually kissed the ground when we arrived home:



Seriously.

I want to go back for another longer visit this summer but I don't know if I can face the car ride again. Alone this time.

3 comments:

Kellie DeMille said...

Oh I feel your pain on the car ride. We almost dropped Ryan on the side of the road with a sign "free to a good home". I honestly saw her head rotate all the way around! Possessed by the devil I tell you! Maybe it is a youngest syndrome that the girls are affected with :) Can I tell you I ADORE the blue McClellan t-shirts, they are the highlight for me :) What an awesome reunion!!

chercard said...

Oh man, your description of Sadie's car behavior didn't make me excited for our huge long road trip in a couple of weeks. I think I need to purchase some Valium ;)

Rachael said...

You really grew up in a beautiful place. That sunset was beautiful. Your family reunions always look soooo fun! I am impressed that someone always organizes them...is it always the same person?
Crying kids in a car makes for a long long drive! I went to Bear Lake once and LOVED it!!!!