I must start off by saying that this was THE BEST pioneer days I have ever spent in Las Vegas. It had everything you could want in an adventure, including high drama (in the form of dicey weather) and intense completion (in the form of a highly contested tug-of-war match).
In order to maintain happiness (for me) we now arrive after 7 pm for the celebration. The heat isn't so intense, and you still have time to do all of the things you want to do.
This is the only picture I have of Megan. As soon as we arrived, she found friends, and we did not see her again. Teens!

Sade and Jackson started off by playing a number of games. Including Plinko. Sade could not wrap her brain around the game last year, but this year her cognitive development has apparently caught up and she mastered it.

Other events:






During this game I made TWO baskets the entire time. The kid running it tried to make me feel better by telling me it had a "really unforgiving rim."


I'm sure that was the problem.





We now eat before coming, but we still leave a little room for treats:

Then the magic happened: The Tug-of-War competition. Our ward (Shadow Creek) took it extra serious, instructing everyone to wear cleats and to bring gloves.



Sixteen 8-man teams battled it out. Shadow Creek was strong and made it to the final round against the Samoan Branch, which having a team made up of all men over 300 pounds, and being the defending champions from last year, was of course favored to win.
But not so fast Samoan Branch! They underestimated the heart of Shadow Creek, who claimed victory!!!! Suck it!
The winning team:

I am unable to accurately characterize the excitement (and will not be posting a video, as I am portrayed like a crazy lady in it), but it was akin to winning the Superbowl. Seriously. It was ridiculously thrilling.
Very soon after the tug-of-war they started the fireworks:

They were about 3/4ths of the way finished when they had to stop due to inclement weather.
The walk out to the car:

When I cleaned out my ears the next morning mounds of dirt came out on the Q-tip. TMI?
This is the only picture I have of Megan. As soon as we arrived, she found friends, and we did not see her again. Teens!
Sade and Jackson started off by playing a number of games. Including Plinko. Sade could not wrap her brain around the game last year, but this year her cognitive development has apparently caught up and she mastered it.
Other events:
During this game I made TWO baskets the entire time. The kid running it tried to make me feel better by telling me it had a "really unforgiving rim."
I'm sure that was the problem.
We now eat before coming, but we still leave a little room for treats:
Then the magic happened: The Tug-of-War competition. Our ward (Shadow Creek) took it extra serious, instructing everyone to wear cleats and to bring gloves.
Sixteen 8-man teams battled it out. Shadow Creek was strong and made it to the final round against the Samoan Branch, which having a team made up of all men over 300 pounds, and being the defending champions from last year, was of course favored to win.
But not so fast Samoan Branch! They underestimated the heart of Shadow Creek, who claimed victory!!!! Suck it!
The winning team:
I am unable to accurately characterize the excitement (and will not be posting a video, as I am portrayed like a crazy lady in it), but it was akin to winning the Superbowl. Seriously. It was ridiculously thrilling.
Very soon after the tug-of-war they started the fireworks:
They were about 3/4ths of the way finished when they had to stop due to inclement weather.
The walk out to the car:
When I cleaned out my ears the next morning mounds of dirt came out on the Q-tip. TMI?
3 comments:
I don't know one guy other than Eric on the tug of war team! What is going on over there? We are having an influx of new people as well, and while I was glad to get rid of a few weirdos we sadly are just getting more of the same :( (Maybe it's just Mormons in general) I am so excited that you guys beat the Samoan branch, they needed a little humbling :) I also would really love to see the video!
There were a lot more inflatable climbers/slides etc. this year. I can't believe Shadow Creek won the tug of wa--and against Tropical Breeze too!
I was talking to someone during the Tug o War and heard all the commotion...I didn't even check it out b/c I figured the Samoan branch would take it! I loved your comment...Suck it! Hilarious! I went to do a blog post on the 24th celebration and realized I had taken too few pictures to make it worth it! Bummer! Alexis was also gone the second we got there and I didn't see her again until I texted her that we were leaving!
I love Pioneer Days! The fireworks were amazing and I was so sad they had to cut it short!
Post a Comment