Thursday, May 1, 2008

Special Olympics

"Let me win,but if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt."

(Special Olympics Oath)


Today Megan was able to participate in a wonderful event. This year her school was chosen to participate in the Special Olympics track and field competition. Non-disabled peers were paired up with the Special Olympics athletes from their respective schools. Megan has been training since February with special needs kids from her school, and today was the big event. I was so thrilled when she was chosen. I always feel so lucky when my kids get to participate in activities that will make them better people. For those of you that don't know Megan, she does have arms, they were just inside her shirt because it was so cold.

She participated in the 50 meter run, the softball throw, and the standing long jump. They all looked so cute lining up.

As you can see it was very windy, which made it kind of cold outside. However, I think it was better than having it be too hot, which definitely could have been a possibility here in Las Vegas. Sadie is finally getting used to the wind, so she was quite content in her carrier.

Eric challenged Jackson to a race of their own, and Jackson was as fast as lightning.

Lastly, here is a picture of Megan at the 2nd trimester awards assembly at her school. She collected 3 awards yesterday (Academic Achievement, Excellent Attendance, and Citizenship). Megan is very conscientious of her school work and has worked hard to bring home all A's since she has been going to school. As soon as she gets home, she does her homework and practices her spelling words. I am always very proud of her. Of course I would still be proud of her even if she didn't do well in school, because all around she is a great girl.

8 comments:

Bliss said...

Yay Megan!

You did great. :-)

rachel said...

Good job Megan!!!

Jossie said...

I saw the special olympics on the news today (you know, since I've gotten to watch way too much TV over the last couple of days) and I'm so proud of Megan for being a part of that. That's so neat!

Rachael said...

How fun for her and great memories! Dang it looked cold and windy that day!

Melissa B said...

Congratulations, Megan on your achievements!

Amy said...

That is so great for Megan. Your camera takes really good pics. They are always so clear.

That Sadie is so BEAUTIFUL! Those eyes...oh man, she's so dang cute.

Autumn said...

What a great experience for Megan!! SHe and CJ are getting so big. CJ got to be one of 30 in his school to go meet the DAlAI Lama. He came home and said it was soooo boring!! He didn't even speak english. Too bad he didn't get much out of it!! Tell Megan she is an outstanding student and cute as a button.

Melody said...

That is so neat! What an awesome experience!