Monday, June 4, 2012

Fathers & Sons 2012

As Eric and Jackson were packing up and getting ready to go, I was remembering Jacksons first Fathers & Sons when he was a 2 year old, and how hard it was for me to watch him drive away! It was slightly easier 6 years later, but I have to admit it was still hard! I am kind of attached to my little Jackson.

Nevertheless, each year they leave me behind for some man time. This year at Valley of Fire.



 The truck all packed and ready to go. I'm pretty sure they didn't leave anything behind.
 
 
When they arrived, they set up camp, and then drove down to Lake Mead with some friends.
 

Upon arriving back at camp, they started dinner. Eric and a friend had planned to do dinner together, which for no good reason I found to be amusing. Not that they would eat together, but that they were organized enough to split up the menu, and shop separately. They did a good job, and had plenty of dinner and treat choices. I heard they did such a good job that many other boys wanted to be part of the feast. They happily obliged.


Jackson spent the evening playing football, hunting for snakes, and running around wherever the heck he wanted with his friends. A truly perfect evening for him.
 

I don't know what time they attempted to go to bed, but I do know they didn't get much sleep. For a couple of reasons. One because they were at Valley of Fire in June and it was HOT, but also because Jackson was so wound up and didn't want to miss anytime playing with his friends. According to Eric he kept bolting out of bed every 10 minutes to try to listen and hear if any of his friends were out playing. It didn't help that the moon was really bright and made it seem like it was daytime. It may look like Jackson is sleeping in this picture, but I assure you he is not.
 
 
I think this Fathers & Sons will always been known to me as the year they were in extreme close proximity to venomous creatures, and no one died. While eating breakfast they discovered a RATTLE SNAKE right by them, under rocks that the kids had been playing on all of the night before and all morning. Not to mention the enormous scorpion and multiple black widows and brown recluses they had discovered the night before.
 

Did I mention neither Eric or Jackson seemed phased by these critters? I feel quite fortunate that I am a woman and thereby not invited to these campouts. I have no desire to encounter this particular set of wildlife, OR sleep in 100 degree weather!

After packing up, they set out with some friends to do some hiking. They visited Mouse's Tank, and hiked up Atlatl rock to see some petroglyps.



More wildlife they discovered while hiking. Check out the size of this lizard!


They had a lot of fun, but were very tired after getting home. They both succumbed to a nap. Picture courtesy of Sade:


 
 
Until next year!

4 comments:

chercard said...

EWWWW on the venomous creatures! There's a reason Moms aren't invited, we would be too paranoid!

Vegasarnolds said...

Carson looks forward to this outing every year! I don't think I could have camped in that heat or with those creatures! I find it funny that Carson decided he liked it better when they camped at ball park, due to the shorter drive!
I am so impressed that Eric got so many pictures! I didn't even think to send a camera with Jon.

Rachael said...

I hope they choose a cooler place next year or do it in April. Who is the person in charge?
Yikes on the creatures! No thank you!

Rachael said...
This comment has been removed by the author.