Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Scuba Anyone?

Recently Eric, Megan and I took a scuba diving class. I was reticent to take it since I am not so great in the water, but ended up pulling through.


 After finding the correct size equipment, we were ready to practice our breathing.


Eric and Megan picked it up right away, but it took me a minute or two longer to become comfortable with it. Along with the breathing there were a bunch (ok maybe only 3) hand signals we had to master before submerging.


After going down and coming up a couple of times to make sure we (ok actually me) were comfortable and would not drown, we were ready to submerge for a longer period of time. We went back and forth, back and forth, numerous times along the bottom of the pool.


Megan and I had the same instructor.

When we were finished she pointed to me and said, "You did okay at the end, once you stopped panicking."

For the record I did not feel panic, only mild discomfort!

Then she turned to Megan and said, "But you, you were perfect from the beginning. You are a natural!"

It's a good thing my self-esteem isn't hinged on my ability to scuba dive.


Eric of course had no problems at all. Except for the inability to smile in a scuba mask.


I later asked Eric if I looked that freaked out under the water. He informed me that I didn't exactly look very comfortable but I would get the award for effort. We all know what that means!

Too bad learning to scuba dive was not on my bucket list!

3 comments:

Rachael said...

Where did you take this class???? I wouldn't mind being scuba certified..you would think I would already be seeing that I grew up with a step dad who is a diving fanatic! Very cool you guys did this!!!

Kellie DeMille said...

I love Eric's tact! Your scuba instructer could learn a few things from Eric :) I am very impressed with your family's adventures, I din't even know you could take scuba lesson here.

The Hardy's said...

That's awesome! I've only been once and totally loved it. It was only after the dive that I wondered if there were any sharks nearby...