Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Saints & Sinners Half Marathon

On September 27th Jackson participated in the Saints & Sinners Half-Marathon in Boulder City as part of a relay team. 

It required us to leave the house REALLY early in the morning. 


He's cute: 


Getting his number attached: 


Jackson's relay team, along with Liam who was running the entire half marathon by himself.


 Kade was scheduled to run the first leg (6.5 miles), Jackson the second (4.4 miles), and McKinna the third (2.2 miles). 

After Kade and Liam took off we went to wait at the hand off point.



Getting ready for the hand off: 


And he's off:


From what I understand, the second leg was mostly on a trail and took him through a number of tunnels. 


A friend that was also running the race snapped this picture of him for me: 


There were very, very few kids running so I was somewhat worried that he would get lost or go the wrong way, but soon he appeared:


Handing off to McKinna for the final leg: 


At this point Jackson wasn't even winded so I asked him if he wanted to run the final leg of 2.2 miles just for fun. He of course said "yes" and took off running.

Crossing the finish line: 


He did it!


 6.6 miles with a final time of one hour and one minute!

With his fellow runners: 


The finish line was right on the beach at Lake Mead, so we headed down there after to do a little rock throwing/beach exploring: 


After the race we stopped for breakfast and then hurried to Jackson's afternoon baseball game. I was worried he would be tired (I was and I hadn't ran a block) but he was just fine. It's a good thing 10 year olds are built with massive amounts of endurance.

1 comment:

Rachael said...

WOW! That is impressive! My kids are young and they wouldn't have been able to do that! I am glad he chose to run through the saints finish line!