Saturday, October 2, 2010

bday

I love my birthday. And lucky for me it's today! Since I have exhausted my 100 things about me lists, this year I am going to cut my age in half, and examine how my life is the same and how it is different from 16 and a half years ago. In case you are not great at math, that means I am 33 today! Whenever I think about being 16  I am reminded of the John "Cougar" Mellencamp (whom I have always been a big fan of, even when he dropped the Cougar), Jack & Diane song lyrics, "Hold onto 16 as long as you can, changes come around real soon make us women and men." Ain't that the truth. For me 16 was all about having fun and hanging out with my friends. Things started changing during my 17th year, so 16 is a pretty good one for me to look back on.

This is how I looked then:

And this is me today:

Then: I enjoyed wearing bright pink lipstick:


Now: Still do:


Then: I drove this car:

Now: Still do

Then: I had a flat stomach:


Now: I don't:

Then: I had awesome friends whom I pretty much spent every waking moment with:

Now: I have an awesome family that I spend every waking moment with (and I still have awesome friends too):


Then: My boyfriends name was Eric:


Now: My husbands name is Eric:


Then: I loved a cut-off short. Especially in the winter with tights underneath and Mary Janes:


Now: I still really love a cut-off:


Then: I traveled to Spain:


Now: I am trying hard (but not so hard that I am actually accomplishing anything) to become fluent in Spanish:
 

Also,

Then: I was boy crazy.
Now: Still Am
Then: I had a lot of freedom.
Now: Still Do
Then: Had pink hair.
Now: Wish I had pink hair.
Then: The only thing that got me out of bed at 7am on a Saturday was waiting in line at Smith's for concert tickets to go on sale at 9 am.
Now: The only thing to get me out of bed at 7 am on a Saturday is my kids begging me for breakfast.

Then: I was carefree:


Now: Not so much:


For me my teens, were tumultuous. Some good years, some bad. My 20's were pretty much great.  But my 30's have been introspective. I have lost aspects of me that I really loved. I think I knew myself better in my 20's. I think I was more fearless. I think I was more outspoken. I miss those things. But my 30's have made me a better mom. I am kinder. I am less judgemental. I am smarter. I am more patient. I am looking forward to my 33rd year.

6 comments:

Melissa Summers said...

That was really interesting and fun to read. Love that you look the same now as you did when ou were 16. So jealous. I have loved my 30's I am actually a little sad to be leaving them soon. Hope you have a great day!

Rachael said...

What a great post Sarah!!! I love it! How funny you had a boyfriend named Eric! I love that you have the same car (wish you had a picture of you driving it!).
I saw that pull up bar in the door way when you were a teen...you still have that now don't ya!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!

Kellie DeMille said...

What a fun post! I think I burned every picture of me as a teen. Funny story, my high school year book picture is in the back of the book advertising flowers. I just wanted to melt into the pavement and have no one bother me as a teen, pretty much the same as now :) I love all the old pictures, you're a doll and I love that you love birthdays as much as I do!!

Kellie DeMille said...

Sorry, I didn't say Happy Birthday! I hope it was GREAT!!!

Cardalls said...

Hope you had a great day! Fun to read about you and get to know you better!

Autumn said...

SOmething about motherhood makes you less care free. You are a very good creative writer!! Love the Camo hat!!