Friday, February 6, 2009

Piano Renovation

I have been searching Craig's list for a piano for some time. I wanted an old, full upright piano. I didn't care much about the aesthetic condition, as long as it was in working order. I was planning on painting it, so looks and color were not too important to me. I was determined not to spend over $300. So when I found a listing for an upright piano in working order for $60 I called right away. I went to see it, and was disappointed by what I found. It was uglier than I thought it would be and was not a full upright that I had my heart set on. However, it was $60 so I knew I had to buy it. Even if I redid it and hated it, I wouldn't too feel bad since it was so cheap. I know I said I wasn't too concerned with the look of it, but I have to admit I was kind of embarrassed by it. Eric needed help picking it up and I would only let him call the Randall's and our neighbor for help since I was embarrassed by it's appearance. I realize I was being ridiculous, it is just my own neurosis.
Anyway, I redid it, and it turns out I do not regret my $60 purchase (plus about $20 for supplies). I am happy with the results. I am partial to black furniture so this works perfectly for me.

BEFORE


AFTER

13 comments:

Rachael said...

I love it and I just now noticed that you put the temple picture above it! It looks so great that I want to redo my piano in black!

Kerri said...

Love it! I want to paint all of my furniture black (even the kitchen cabinets). Al thinks I'm crazy!

Jossie said...

I love it! It looks so great!

Melissa Summers said...

Wow I am super impressed. That is some talent you have lady. You may not be able to stitch but who cares. Stitching is all I can do. Way to go.

Cardalls said...

Looks awesome! I bought a piano at a garage sale for $75 but it doesn't look as great as yours because I haven't done anything to it!

Melissa B said...

What an improvement! I still can't believe that it was only $60.

bloodfamily said...

What a great shopper you are! How long did it take for you to refinish it? You arevery talented -way to go Sarah.

Jennifer said...

That looks awesome! Oh, and I don't think it was in embarrassing shape beforehand... LOL

michelle said...

Impressive!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L. Sarah. Truly. What great vision you have.

Autumn said...

You are awesome! I just can't get motivated to start any of the projects I want to do. You have inspired me.

Lene said...

love love love it! for $60?!? i am going to be checking out craigslist

Ralaina said...

I love it and it gives me hope to have a piano one day. I settled for a key board at Christmas, until I have somewhere to put one. You did an amazing job. It is beautiful!!!