Monday, December 9, 2013

Thanksgiving 2013

Our Thanksgiving preparations started the night before. Sade is an excellent cook and helped me with the entire 2 1/2 hour process of roll making.





She is a committed cook.

We were having dinner with our Baird friends the next day and Amy had given me a recipe that said, "Place your UNTHAWED turkey in the oven at 10 pm the night before Thanksgiving." I thought this was strange and asked her about it, but she said that some sort of turkey guru gave them the recipe for their ward Christmas party and he said it was the best turkey ever, so we went with it.

BUT THEN.......At 8 pm I got a frantic call from Amy that although he wrote UNTHAWED, he actually meant THAWED! Oy vey! Apparently, and this is the actual truth, he though UNTHAWED meant THAWED. Seriously.

My sad frozen turkey:



Anyway...We put our FROZEN turkeys in the oven and hoped for the best. And miracle of miracles they were done by 10 am Thanksgiving morning.

After a long morning playing football (and I do mean long), we left for the Bairds and saw an ice cream truck come rolling through the neighborhood. There ain't no rest for the wicked, money don't grow on trees.



The food stash.



This year we made two different turkeys. Kade and Amy wanted to see if we could tell a difference between an organic and non-organic turkey when they were cooked exactly the same way.

The results were that we could not.

Kids table:



After dinner the men folk lounged, while we women and kid folk went out for a walk.





We spent the rest of the evening eating dessert, playing games, and watching some more T.V.

Good Thanksgiving.

4 comments:

Rachael said...

I am surprised that there was no difference in the organic and non organic turkey!!! I really want to BBQ a turkey and see how that is.
I am sad I didn't take ONE picture of Thanksgiving! I don't know what I was thinking!!!
I have a roll recipe that is SOOOO TASTY! It is a long process though with kneading, rising, shaping, rising again and cooking!

chercard said...

we smoked a turkey last year and it was yummy! That would have made me panic too with the unthawed turkey! I have yet to perfect rolls, I blame it on my sad, old mixer.

Kellie DeMille said...

Oh my heck I cannot take the stress of Thanksgiving! I think I would have actually lost my mind and gone to the "guru's" house and kicked him! I wouldn't trust anything (or anyone) coming out of our ward though. That was problem #1 :)
There is a great recipe in the Shadow Creek cookbook from Shelly S. for 1 hour rolls. I make it all the time and love it. And I make it without a mixer (since mine has been dead for a while).
I love the science experiment during Thanksgiving you guys are so much fun :)

The Hardy's said...

I used to always say "unthaw" until I was corrected by Steve. Now I know better. Glad the turkey turned out anyway!