Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Trying Out A Triathlon

As previously mentioned, Megan and Jackson have been working hard towards training for a triathlon this past weekend in St. George. They both did the Kid Sprint Triathlon which included a 200 yard swim, a 2 mile bike ride, and a 3/4 of a mile run.
Before the race:



Lining up for the swim. Jackson tolerates a lot of picture taking, but Megan was quite ready for me to leave and go sit down:




Megan is a strong swimmer and was out in and out of the water super fast:



Although Jackson is a good swimmer, it is not his strongest event and he was slightly worried about it:



But his time ended up being great, and right on par with the other boys in his age group!

Next up: The Bikes!

Although parents are not allowed to help their children on the course, you are allowed to help them in the transition areas. Which basically means you pick up all of their discarded items (goggles, swim caps, etc.) and make sure they get properly dressed for the next event.

I really didn't think the kids triathlon would be all that intense, but it is! The kids are super laser-focused and determined to make it to the next event quickly. Megan made it to the bike transition area first where she threw on her shorts and helmet and tried to take off on her bike. Eric had to stop her and remind her that she needed her shoes and socks. He also tried to get her to put on her shirt, but after attempting to put it on and determining after 1.5 seconds that it was taking too long, she threw it back at him and said, "Forget the shirt!" The entire transition was hilarious.



But her intensity paid off! She was in and out in no time at all:



Next up: Jackson!

 Although about a minute behind Megan at this point, he quickly got ready and was on his way. In day to day life Jackson is rather, shall we say, lackadaisical about time frames. But put him in a competition setting and he transforms! His drive to win takes over:



And he's off:



What I believed would be Megan's second best event, the bike ride, for some reason ended up being her most difficult. Eric and I were waiting and waiting for her to finish, and had just started to worry that something must have happened, when she appeared. Right behind Jackson, who had caught up.



They dropped their bikes (literally) for Eric to pick up and place on the racks, and were off to complete their final event: The Run!

Megan had pulled ahead, but running is Jackson's best event, so Eric and I knew he would catch up.



And he did.

With a time of 24 minutes and 20 seconds he crossed the finish line:



Megan was right behind him, finishing with a time of 25 minutes and 38 seconds:



Eric and I were so very proud of them and so impressed by how well they both did.

It was a serious blast to watch!

Posing with their medals:




Megan said the race was harder than she thought it would be, that her easiest event was the swim, and that her hardest event was the bike ride.



Jackson said that the race was easier than he thought it would be, that his hardest event was also the bike ride, and that his easiest event was the run:



They both can't wait to do it again in October.

2 comments:

Kellie DeMille said...

How fun! I love intense competitions, it seems like everything nowadays is so geared to have fun and everyone wins. I want real competition! I want pointing and laughing at the losers and the thrill of victory! I wish Eric had told Megan, there is always time to put your shirt on :) Hilarious!! I thought the bike ride would be the easiest, who knew? Let me know the details, I definitely want to sign my crazies up for October!! Congratulations Megan and Jackson!!

Amanda said...

That is AWESOME!! They did fantastic. CONGRATS guys, you are amazing. Good job!