I had a theory.
It being that my children, particularly Sadie, based their choice of apple off of its color and not its taste.
I couldn't believe that it was just a coincidence that Sadie's favorite color was green AND her favorite apple happened to be green.
I couldn't believe that it was just a coincidence that Sadie's favorite color was green AND her favorite apple happened to be green.
After all, how different could a green apple and a red apple taste? :)
(Here is where I admit that I have never really eaten more than a small bite of an apple.)
The adherence to a certain color proved frustrating to me when buying apples. I had to remember which color each particular child liked, AND I could never buy the large bags of apples (which would have saved me money) because they all liked different colors.
Enter: The Apple Test!
Blindfolded, I subjected them to 7 different kinds of apples (and one cucumber, hee, hee), and had them give each one a simple ranking.
Love It, Like It, Don't Like It.
The apple choices were, Red Delicious, Granny Smith, Gala, Braeburn, Golden Delicious, Fuji, and Honey Crisp.
All blindfolded up:
The test begins!
This one (The Gala) proved to be universally disliked. Check out their faces:
The rogue cucumber!
The results were in.
And.....It turns out I was completely wrong!
They were actually basing their choices off of taste and not appearance.
I'm proud of them.
Sadie's Favorite: Golden Delicious (The one she has always insisted was her favorite.)
Sadie's Least Favorite: Gala/Braeburn
Jackson's Favorite: Red Delicious (The one he has always insisted was his favorite.)
Jackson's Least Favorite: Gala/Granny Smith/Honey Crisp
Megan's Favorite: The Cucumber (she isn't much of an apple lover), and the Granny Smith
Megan's Least Favorite: Gala/Braeburn
Eric and I decided to take a turn too:
It was a bit torturous for me. I had to actually spit the first one out, as I was fearful I would throw up right at the table if I had to swallow it.
It turns out that my favorite, AND Eric's favorite was the Gala. Which you may remember was universally disliked by all of the children!
My least favorite were the Golden Delicious (vomit inducing) the Fuji and the Granny Smith.
Eric's least favorite was the Honey Crisp.
It seems I have a future full of buying different kinds (and colors) of apples ahead of me.
3 comments:
Ooohhhh I love Honey Crisp. Great post...Steve and I did a taste test between Gala and Fuji because we could never remember which one we liked. Its tough because sometimes you just get a bad batch of a good brand...
Hilarious!! I am still laughing while typing. Can I seriously move in with you McClellan's? I think you are my most favorite people ever. Rogue cucumber...Too funny! Tyson will only eat green apples and now I am wondering if it is because he says red apples are for girls. I see blindfoldes in my children's futures :)
Crap. I just did a whole long comment and then it didn't go through. I love Gala apples as long as they're fresh and crisp, otherwise they're not good. And my in laws just sent us a whole bunch of golden delicious home grown apples and they're the best apples I've ever had but I've never bought them from the store. Now I need to go and do this test for my family! What a great idea!
Post a Comment