Tuesday, July 12, 2011

6 Hour Battle Of Wills

On Saturday I had a 6 hour long battle of wills with my most stubborn child, 3 year old Sadie.  I asked her to please start cleaning her room, but she refused. I told her that if she put some of her shoes away, I would come in and help her, but she still refused. I then told her if she didn't start cleaning up her shoes, she would have to lay on her bed. Guess what she chose:


For 6 hours! Seriously. She chose to lay on her bed for 6 hours! She seriously flat-out refused to get off her bed. After about 3 hours I went in to talk with her. She sat up on her bed, stared at me, and said, "Are you here to apologize?" I almost died of laughter on the spot. I just love her. But look who ended up winning:

Mom: 1 Sadie: 0

For the record: The job I was asking her to do (putting her shoes away), involved putting her shoes, which were already in a big pile on her floor, into a pink bin, approximately 1 foot away from said shoes. A job that took her less than a minute once she started. I have to admit that if I had realized it was going to turn into such an ordeal I probably wouldn't have asked her to clean up at all. But I couldn't give up, or next time I might have been in for 8 hours!

5 comments:

KaySea said...

Oh my!! This sounds familiar. I can't say it has been six hours but close to. I would have had to turn my head when she asked you that question. Laughing about it just reading it. What is it with 3 year old girls?

Rachael said...

Are you kidding me?????!!! 6 hours! Dang! You may be in trouble with this one! Did she cry or scream when she was one the bed or just lay there! That may have been a nice break if she was quiet!!!
One day her stubbornness will be a good thing right...when she is offered alcohol or drugs and she refuses....right??? :)

chercard said...

Are you here to apologize?? HAHAHAHA! Oh kids these days right??

Jossie said...

That is hilarious! I say good for you for sticking to your guns and letting her make the choice to stay there for that long until she decided to clean up. Yay for you!

Kellie DeMille said...

I tell the kids, Mom's always win so you had better give it up already. Yeah for sticking to your guns!