Tuesday, April 22, 2008

SPT


This Week's Challenge:

In honor of Earth Day. Do you consider yourself a part of "The Green Generation."

I definitely consider myself a part of "The Green Generation" in theory, but I don't always come through in practice. So for this Earth Day I decided to turn off my water, and let my grass die.

Ha, Ha, Just Kidding. There are parts of our yard that look like this, but it is mostly because of my inattention to it. However, if we move to a new house or suddenly come into a lot of money, I would replace our real grass with fake grass in a heartbeat. Not only would it be much easier to take care of in our climate, but we would save a lot of water.

The one thing I am definitely going to change this year is our use of water bottles. It is not unusual for me to clean 5 or 6 half empty water bottles out of our car. Last Friday I found these 4 barely used water bottles in my 7 year olds backpack. I bought these smaller bottles hoping that it would cause less waste, but she is still not drinking them. I am going to go out this week and buy her a reusable bottle for her lunch.

Lastly, I have considered switching to these new light bulbs. I have not made myself do it yet because I find them grossly unattractive. I realize this is ridiculous, and I am sure I will be able to talk myself into them soon.

Happy Earth Day!!!!

18 comments:

Alisa said...

I agree about the water bottles-
I'm looking for some now-

I laughed about the grass- if anyone asks in the neighborhood about ours- that is the answer I am going to give out-
"we are going green!"

Unknown said...

i have used a few compact flourescent bulbs (for instance, in our porch light, which is a covered light.) i agree, they are a bit unsightly, but i love using them in places that are a) out of sight, and b) hard to change anyway! a lot less stress for me, and green, too!

Holly said...

Funny about the grass--we have several spots like that!

We need to get more compact flourescents. Boy, my green to-do list is getting longer--but that's a good thing!

Laurie said...

I resisted the light bulbs for a while too, but after trying them out I found them to be not so bad. Unlike traditional flourescent lighting, they're really not garish and they're completely unnoticable in most of our light fixtures. I haven't ever put them in a lamp, or somewhere it would be seen though....

The water bottle dilemma. Trouble is, my kids always lose the reusable ones. The ones they're not supposed to throw away!

Bren's Life said...

Great Job! You take great upclose pictures... I have those light bulbs & I found they don't make the ceiling black light the other ones did..

Rachael said...

I am laughing at picturing you in Costco taking this picture!
Great post and thanks for the ideas that yes...I am green...

Amy said...

Great post! You crack me up taking pics with the light bulbs. Good for you! Your trip to Primm looks like so much fun and I love Jackson's buzz. He looks so much older with it.

Courtney said...

your grass had me rolling in laugher...not at you...but because that is exactly what my yard looks like! too funny...let's just call it water conservation and then it looks great :).

i'm with you on those water bottles...hate the waste!

i love your pic by the bulbs and your cute little boy...too funny!

Linda said...

Let's switch to the grossly unattractive light bulbs together because I haven't taken that leap yet either!

Happy Earth Day!

Dacia said...

I feel the same way about those light bulbs, but I have put them in some places. Maybe I'll have to switch them all soon.

Ralaina said...

I love Jackson's Buzz.

Lene said...

I am horrible with using water bottles and it seems like we always have some rolling around in the back of the suburban.
They now have some of the light bulbs that don't look like that, but more like regular bulbs.

rachel said...

I know what you mean about the water bottles. I am constantly cleaning out 1/2 full bottles from my car.
I switched to energy efficient light bulbs in my house and even though they don't give as much light, they're not bad.
I am so impressed by how well you can take pictures of yourself!

Autumn said...

Those light bulbs don't give as much light but I guess that is the point. They do last longer. I will get on the bandwagon and not buy anymore water bottles either.

The Monkeys said...

I love the greenish shirt you wore for your self-portrait. Very appropriate. I just changed mine green in photoshop- lazy! My husband would love some great astroturf! Mostly, because I keep killing the grass.

Melody said...

Hey cute post! And Lene is right. They have "green" bulbs now that look like the normal bulbs, especially the recessed ones. Just so they don't look all weird and such.

Target has them. At least that's where i got them.:) So no worries!

Rachel H. said...

I am in general opposed to the compact fluorescent lights. Not because of their look, but because they contain mercury, which is considered a hazardous waste. So if perchance you were to break one, you would need to have a professional come clean it since you wouldn't want your kids to come into contact with whatever you might have missed. If it broke on your carpet you would have to cut out the contaminated area. Also because they contain mercury you can't put them in the garbage when they burn out (unfortunately people do and then the mercury gets into the the ground and yadda yadda). Republic Services doesn't have a way to dispose of them. So they ask that you drive them out to their facility and then they take them somewhere that can do it. So all in all I am opposed to them and I will wait a couple of years and LED lights will soon be out, not contain any toxic waste and will use much less energy. Okay, I am stepping off my soapbox now.

Bliss said...

my family does the same thing with water bottles and like you, i switched to smaller ones. it did help in our case.

then i watched Oprah the other night and saw all the bottles put in land fills and i felt guilty. we do have one of the large cheaper-by-the-gallon refill bottles. but the store is by the church (on the other side of town) and if we forget to take it on sunday, we're buying gallon jugs that week.

we do use the new bulbs and smart power strips for electrical plug ins. honestly, i wonder how much of a difference it makes because our electric bill is still too high for my tastes.

i'm thinking about designating a once a week no-tv-day at our house.

maybe that will help some.