Tuesday, April 15, 2008

SPT

This week's challenge:
Provide a photo for the following caption:

"What Was I Thinking?!?"


It all started more than two years ago when I walked into a friends house and fell in love. Not with her, but with her floors. She has stained concrete floors and I had never seen anything like them. I knew I had to have them for my own. So finally last April we decided to tackle the project. There are five reasons I ask myself "What Was I Thinking?"

1. We had a lot of family coming into town 2 weeks after we decided to start. Not a smart idea. Let's just say they had to negotiate a construction zone.

2. I was pregnant. When I am pregnant I am terribly sick the entire 9 months, so I wasn't really much help.

3. We were entering my husbands busy time of year so he did not have the proper time to spend to get it done in a timely fashion.

4. My husband and I have vastly different work styles. He is a perfectionist who takes a lot of time, and I am not. There is definitely a middle ground that we did not negotiate well.

5. It was really, really hard. The cleanup, staining, coating was a ridiculous amount of work.

So for a project I thought would take us no more than 2 weeks, 5 months later, yes 5 months, we were finally done . Our timing was not perfect, but now that it is done I couldn't be happier.

19 comments:

Unknown said...

you and floors look awesome!! i almost tackled this project a few years ago, but we were in a rental. i'm so glad i didn't put that much effort into something i couldn't take with me!

Laurie said...

It looks like it was worth it!

Chris said...

I love those floors. I am sure it was frustrating, but sure worth it!

Rachael said...

You really need to post the pictures of what your kitchen looked like during this time! That was funny!

Bren's Life said...

I can't believe that is concrete.. Now I want to have that done.. Did you notice I said "Have" that done, not do that..
I can't believe you guys did that all. It looks amazing. Is it hard to keep up?

Melissa B said...

Your floors really do look great, I never saw them before, but I love the stained concrete! I didn't realize that you guys did it all yourselves. Impressive!

Courtney said...

They look incredible...I love your floors...and I'm so in awe of the fact that you did it yourself - whoohoo. I'm private, but if you email me I'll permission you! courtneymilius@hotmail.com

me said...

It looks like you did a wonderful job! And in only 5 months, it would have taken me a year!!!

Cardalls said...

They look great!I am impressed you guys did them yourselves!

hzaby said...

Your floors look great. John and I have so many things that we want to do to our house, we just having done them.

Linda said...

How lucky that you have a hubby that can tackle such big projects...we have to hire out for everything!

Your floor looks fantastic! Concrete counter tops are sure popular now too aren't they.

Alisa said...

I can so so so appreciate this-
we did our floors too! AND it took so much longer! Yours look so beautiful-
we just did ours all one color- how in the world did you block yours out like that?
Our project started out small and kept getting bigger and bigger and bigger-

Holly said...

I love the result! I did not realize it was so labor intensive. Even though it took longer than expected it turned out beautiful--and I'm sure worth the stress.

Jossie said...

I remember the process :-) They look so great now that it's totally worth it, right?

rachel said...

I love how your floors turned out! I didn't know that was such a BIG process but I'm very impressed that you did it! Josh is not one to do home projects

Dacia said...

The floor looks great! I'm sure you hated it at the time, but you probably love it now. Great job!

TIA EVANS said...

It was definately worth it I think. It is one of the coolest things I have ever seen. Although a long work in prgress, I believe it was well worth it, it looks amazing.

Melody said...

Wow they look awesome! Cute pic!

btw and fyi- When you go to seal the floor make sure you don't get the epoxy sealer you have to mix or just be sure to mix it right because we had these floors in our house, Jeremy Garner did them and Jason ruined them by not mixing the sealer correctly. It was tragic and heartbreaking!

Ralaina said...

I am so impressed. Maybe you can go put that flooring in my house and it will sell! It is beautiful.