After breakfast we had to say goodbye to Eric'c parents who were flying back home.
When I go on vacation, I like to stay busy. Which means, if there is a National Monument, or a National Park, or a State Park, or anything remotely cool, I want to see it!
On our first stop we definitely found something cool.
This is The Chapel Of The Holy Cross, which is built right into the mountain.
We were all getting hungry, and were lucky enough to find a great picnic stop right by the river.
After lunch we just HAD to hang out by the river for a bit.
Eric giving Megan a lesson on rock skipping.
Megan after her first rock skipping success.
After lunch we took a hike to look at some pictographs at a National Forest Service Ranch.
Right after this picture was taken some people who were in front of us turned around and warned us that a 2 foot snake was hanging out around a log right where they were standing! I almost passed out, and did not want to go another step forward. But given that I do not want my children to have my irrational fear (but really it is not very irrational, because snakes can kill you-right?), I persevered and kept walking. It almost killed me.
Soon we made it to our destination. Amazingly unharmed.
Our next stop was Montezuma Castle, which had to be my very favorite stop.
This is a 5 story, 20 room dwelling that was built in a cliff recess 100 feet up the mountain. It was amazing!
Sade consulting the map.
Much to Jackson's chagrin (he just wanted to go home and play on the playground), we had one more stop to make. This time to Montezuma Well.
The well is a limestone sink formed by the collapse of a huge underground cavern. It is fed by springs that continuously flow.
We hiked down to check out a spring that feeds it.
It was a full day, but a really cool one. And we even got back in time for Jackson to play.
3 comments:
I love all the fun adventures and places you guys discover when you vacation! You are so adventurous!
Such a fun day out. And it looks like you hit some of the best spots.
My kids are no longer allowed to see your blog, they will become totally jeaulous of all the amazing places and things you all see. What fun memories!!! I like to think I'm not afraid of snakes, but if there was one 3 feet away it may be a different story, good job on getting by the snake!
Post a Comment