We are self-insured. Which basically means we pay out of pocket for our health insurance. And it is not cheap. AT ALL. And it is not even great insurance. It has large deductibles, large co-pays, and no maternity. When we go to QuickCare we pay $65 (which I am okay with). So today I received my statement and I see they charged my insurance company $225, which of course the insurance company is not going to pay. They end up paying QuickCare their allowed amount of $55, which means that QuickCare actually owes me $10. Whatever. All of this I am okay with. But what I am not okay with is this: If I were uninsured and went to QuickCare I would be responsible for paying the full $225. I am aware of the arguments why this is, I just don't agree with them. If people who did not have health insurance were charged a reasonable amount then maybe they would actually be able to pay their bills instead of filing for bankruptcy.
Case in point: The last time I had surgery my bills totalled about $15,000. After insurance discounts I ended up paying about $1600. That is a huge difference! I can afford $1600, but $15,000 is a whole different story. I have also been without health insurance many times, and have ended up paying huge amounts of money, for minor injuries. During one of these times, Megan fell and cut her lip. I took her to QuickCare, where they determined she was fine, and did not need stitches. We saw the Dr. for less than 10 minutes. My bill was over $800. There just has to be a better way of doing things.
2 comments:
I couldn't agree with you more. The health insurance system, in general, is crap. You can't afford not to have insurance, but you also can't afford to have insurance. Companies can deny you or not pay for the stupidest reasons. My stomach just sinks everytime I get a statment in the mail or have to call and dispute something. It is a losing battle. Anyway....glad Megan is feeling better!
Don't even get me started on health insurance! We have been paying multiple doctors for months between all my tests and things etc.....I would so much rather be using my hard earned $$ elsewhere!
Post a Comment