Thursday, January 8, 2009

A Funeral


Last Friday my Grandma died. It is the first time someone I was really close to has died. She was 96 years old and was truly one of my very favorite people. She was mostly healthy for her first 95 years, but this last year she struggled a bit. Fortunately, she was able to remain in her home until she died, which is really what she had always hoped for. I was a speaker at the funeral and would like to share a small portion of my talk that sums up who she was to me:

She was always quick to laugh, especially at herself. She called me honey when we talked on the phone. Putting up her Christmas decorations brought her enormous joy. She made everyone that came to her home feel welcome. She exuded love and pride towards her family. She always had a story to tell. She loved to hear people say how young she looked. She felt incredibly fortunate to be in such good health for so long. I am close to very few people, but I was close to her. I will miss her. I loved her.

Unfortunately we had to make our trip up to Utah really quick. Eric's really busy with work, so we literally went up and back. 8 1/2 hours each way is very tiresome, especially when you 3 kids with you. Our trip consisted mostly of eating:

And bathroom breaks:


Check out this speed limit sign. I have never seen one over 75 mph before.

Sadie did not do well in the car. She is happy in this picture because she is out of her carseat sitting in the front with me during one of our many bathroom breaks. But when she was in her carseat it was almost non-stop crying.

Jackson and Megan both do really well in the car. As long as they have their movies we don't hear much from them. Well, I should say we don't hear much from Megan. From Jackson we hear the words, "I'm hungry" every 5 miles. I am quite sure he said it at least 90 times. He is a perpetual snacker who seems to have no limit. Notice his red lips and mouth in this picture. It is from the approx. 100 hot tamales he ate.


There sure was a lot of snow. It snowed our whole way up, but was clear the entire way home. Our trip was so quick the kids didn't even have a chance to play in any of it.



9 comments:

bloodfamily said...

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. We lost 3 people this year between Thanksgiving and Christmas. It was very melancholy at our house. That first picture - I thought it was you! I thought that you had transposed that face into the photo. Your words portray a remarkable woman. She was a beautiful person inside and out. I think that you did a great job of describing her.

Tracey said...

So sorry for your loss. I'm sad we didn't get to see you but I understand quick road trips. You are always welcome here if you decide to make another trip this way.

Jossie said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma :-( I loved what you wrote about her....very nice. Um, a speed limit 80 sign??? Crazy!

Cardalls said...

I am so sorry about your Grandma! Your talk sounded great!

Melissa B said...

I am sorry to hear about your loss. Sounds like she was a great woman. I love that picture of her, people were just so classy back then.

Heidi :) :) ;) said...

That is such a gorgeous picture of your grandmother. You two look a lot alike. I am sorry to hear about your loss. My grandma died on Tuesday. It is sweet to know that they will be reunited with their parents and loved ones that passed away before them, but it is sad for us. :)

Rachael said...

I am so glad that that trip is over! No thank you on the 8.5 hr long trip! Glad you made it in one piece!

Rachael said...

Oh, and I am sorry about your grandma...but we already talked about that!

Autumn said...

You look alot like her in that top picture!! It is very sad when somene you love so much dies. It is good you have so many great memories!!