Tuesday, October 14, 2008

SPT


This month's challenge provides us the opportunity to spend some time with ourselves. Lelly says, "This month we will consult our 100 lists. It's quite simple, really. On the 7th of the month post an SPT about item #7 on your list. On the 14th of the month, post an SPT about #14. And so on and so on.

On my birthday 100 list, #14 reads:

Babysitting is not a service I enjoy performing.

Let's just say I will babysit if it is needed, but I would rather make someone dinner, clean someones house, or even do yard work instead. I think when I am babysitting (especially for a long time) I start to feel trapped. Not that I spend most of the day out of the house, but what if I just had to go to Target?

I notice that when I have little boys (ages 2 to 4), the favorite game is let's dump all of the toys out in the middle of the floor. It's really a good thing they are so cute!

I also have to kid proof my house. Even though I have small children, they have grown up in this house so they know how to avoid any breakables. Of course, new little kiddies are unfamiliar with my house so I move all breakables out of their reach.
All of my friends reading this, this rule does not apply to your children. I of course love them all, and will watch them whenever you need. But if you have a hitter, a yeller, or biter, I will watch them, but probably won't enjoy it very much.

13 comments:

Dacia said...

Good to know that I'm not the only one! We're so alike in this way. Most my friends already know this though and only ask me when they have no other option. I'm the same way though, I don't ask anyone unless I can't find a babysitter and my husband isn't around. It's just so much work to add other kids to the mix unless they can play well without a ton of supervision.

MaryRC said...

High five.. We are riding in the same boat! My kids are now 8 and 11 and as they grew my breakables increased, now I have stone floors and glass everywhere! Babies/toddlers always get hurt in my house when they fall and crack their noggins on the floor.... ouch!

Unknown said...

"but what if i just HAD to go to target?!?" hysterical!!

babysitting probably is not my favorite service, either.

Missy said...

oh, I'm totally with you on this one! other people's kids are just not the same as our own little 'angels'. too much work! trapped is a very appropriate word. :o)

Courtney said...

AMEN SISTA! It is so much harder to watch other people's kids for sure...so I sign up to bring meals in, clean homes, help pack...but not so much the watching of the kids...and what is the deal with boys and dumping out the toys? Hello?

Lene said...

I hear you loud and clear. I had someone ask me if I wanted to sign up for a babysitting co-op. Hello? I couldn't say "no thank you very much" fast enough. She thought it was strange that I didn't like to babysit and I thought it was strange that she did!

Rachael said...

And you thought people were going to think you were rude!
You know I agree with you 100%...I only like to babysit certain kids. Kids that you have really watch and be the referee over is no fun! I don't like being trapped wither-I am a girl on the go! Maybe that is why Heavenly Father has only given me two kids....more would trap me!

Jossie said...

I am with you too! Don't get me wrong, now that Tyler is a little older it's more like having a friend over to play but I would much rather take a meal or something also. When those lists go around in church I definitely do NOT check babysitting as something that I will do :-) However, Tyler's little friends (Eli, Breck, Jackson, etc) are more than welcome to come and play for a few hours. P.S. Just thinking out loud here, Jackson has not come over to play, so just so you know he is more than welcome if you need a little break. Yeah, when I'm asked to babysit I have to make sure that my calendar is open and the option to go to Target isn't a big deal :-) Um, I guess I'll stop typing now, lol!

Michelle Alley said...

So funny! I think deep down - most mum's agree!

Jeanette said...

Great post. Love the 'breakables' in your picture. So pretty.

Cardalls said...

I really don't mind watching my friends kids who play nicely and are good kids. I'm not big either on watching everyone and their dogs kids...thus why I only did a babysitting co-op for 3 months...couldn't stand it!

The Monkeys said...

I used to hate babysitting, now I don't mind it so much- depending on the kid of course. I rarely have time any more, though. Darn kids keep getting busier, the older they get.

mommy nurse said...

There are positives to babysitting. You get to give them back at the end of the day!