Tuesday, October 7, 2008

SPT


This month's challenge provides us the opportunity to spend some time with ourselves. Lelly says, "This month we will consult our 100 lists. It's quite simple, really. On the 7th of the month post an SPT about item #7 on your list. On the 14th of the month, post an SPT about #14. And so on and so on.

On my list, #7 reads:

"I have never had a cavity."

What can I attribute this to? I have had this discussion many times with my husband, who has not been as lucky as I have in the cavity department. As a child, I brushed my teeth, but wasn't extremely diligent about it. I didn't frequent the dentist office, nor did I ever floss. On the other hand, my husband brushed all of the time, was a diligent flosser, frequented the dentists office, yet he was plagued by cavity after cavity. Why is this? I think maybe I will attribute it to the monthly fluoride treatments I received in elementary school. Does anyone else remember these? After our parents signed the consent form, "they" (I have no memory of who they were) would wheel the pink fluoride in on carts. We were then required to swish it in our mouth for 30 seconds, then spit it back into the cup it came in. I was very jealous of those kids whose parents didn't sign the consent, because if I am remembering correctly, it was pretty darn gross. I guess I will never know the answer to my great teeth luck, but if any of you have any insight, I would love to hear it.

19 comments:

Unknown said...

i never had a cavity until a few years ago! (i also was a *good* brusher, but not a *diligent* brusher.)

i just remember being very happy that the "new" fillings matched my tooth enamel - not the dreaded silver fillings.
congratulations to you!!

Aranne and Dan said...

I am on your side too! Yeah for the no cavity team... But I am a burshaholic. I brush too much- have you ever heard of such a thing. The dentist always tells me I am going to brush away my gums. I can't help it. I have OCD about it, seriously. I can't help myself.

Amber Grannis said...

probably that and good genes!! my husband and i have the same interesting combination of oral health record...mine with nary a cavity, his with half his teeth filled, pulled, or otherwise dentally salvaged. it's a mystery. i pray our children get MY teeth!!

Rachael said...

I really think it is luck of the draw...or heredity! My mom is super careful about her teeth and she gets cavities and my step dad isn't that strict and he is 58 and not a cavity in sight!
Good for you!

Linda said...

We have this same scenario in our house but with my kids. My daughter has a cavity everytime she goes to see the dentist yet my son has had very few. The dentist told me my daughter doesn't have an enzyme in her saliva that helps fight off cavities? Who knows!

Missy said...

As I'm rasing my kids, I'm finding out that every one is different. I think it has to do with genes and whether you are predisposed to cavities or not. Looks like you were blessed with good genes. :o)

janna said...

I am predisposed to cavities, but have a brother who is 43 and he's never had a one.

Courtney said...

I rarely get a cavity...I think maybe I have had one in my lifetime...my eldest son however...10 years old and already 4 root canals...seriously! I think now that some people are just blessed with strong teeth while others must suffer hee hee hee!

Jossie said...

We have a pretty similar situation. I have only had one cavity but Karl's mouth is full of them. Weird. Good for you!

Lene said...

wow - i am at the total opposite of the tooth chart. i think every tooth has had a cavity at least once.

Michelle Alley said...

Yeah for good teeth and no cavities! I remember one day in second grade one of my teeth crumbled out of my mouth - I just hope this doesn't happen now!

mommy nurse said...

I haven't had cavities for years but when I was a kid I ended up with a mouth full. This past weekend I chipped one of my teeth and now it needs a crown. I guess the queen of the house will officially be crowned this week! Keep on brushing!

Jeanette said...

Lucky! I've never had a cavity as an adult, but boy did I have my share as a kid.

Dacia said...

That's awesome! Just call me metal mouth!

MaryRC said...

Oh how blessed you are! I hate the dentist. lucky you..

Bren's Life said...

First of all - I didn't even realize it was you in your blog picture on my comment page. I LOVE YOUR HAIR! It looks so cute..
I haven't done SPT in awhile so I haven't followed the SPT friends. Sorry!
But I just love your hair- You just look so good red & short.
2nd - That just isn't fair that you've never had a cavity! Would you go eat some candy please....
:)

rachel said...

Wow! I am totally jealous! I've always had bad teeth. When I was little my family called me silver mine because of all my cavities. I too used the floride treatments at school and brushed my teeth regularly but that didn't help. My brother on the other hand has never had a cavity and he claims he never even flosses. I think it all has to do with genetics.

The Monkeys said...

I never had a cavities until after my second child, then I had a couple. I don't floss regularly either and I didn't do the fluoride treatments, so I don't know what it is either. Hopefully I have passed it on, though.

Yvonne S. said...

Okay, so funny!!! Tanner and I just went to the dentist. The hygenist spent a whole hour cleaning just my bottom teeth. I have to go back to get them clean and had to schedule in 2 hours!!! I brush, floss, listerine and bleach my teeth! Tanner went in had his whole mouth done in 15 minutes!! I swear, it is not fair!!! My teeth are whiter though! HA!