Last Wednesday we left on our long-awaited trip to Washington to visit Eric's family. We spent the first half of our trip at a family reunion for Eric's moms side of the family. The first day while the guys golfed, us girls took the kids to the lake. When we pulled up to the lake, it was raining. I thought to myself, "I wonder what we are going to do now, since it is raining, and there is no way we can swim in the rain." Apparently, not being from Washington I did not understand that rain does not change plans. So we all got out of our cars and swam in the rain. It turned out just fine, and the kids didn't mind it a bit (not even Sadie).

We spent the rest of the day getting settled into the cabin, eating, and having a campfire program. We sang lots of songs, watched some skits, and had
smores. I had to leave early however, because one of the skits that I was chosen for, involved getting buckets of water thrown on me. I was soaked. I literally had to wring out my hair multiple times. But it was memorable and I am sure fun for everyone to watch.
Day 2:
The morning of day 2 was spent playing games with all of the kids. They had so many things planned. Numerous water games, parachute games, and a form of kick ball that had a crazy name that I don't remember.




Miss Sade loved the swing and smiled and smiled while on it. Not too far away the kids found an enormous ant hill, and a snakes head. The next day they found the rest of the snakes body. I almost passed out from fear.
That afternoon we headed out to the Ape caves with Eric's brother's Chad and Derek, along with Krista (Chad's wife), and Kate (their cute little girl). Before we went I thought they were caves that Ape's had made in the side of the mountain. You can imagine my surprise when we got there and I found out it was a huge (13,000 foot) underground lava tube that was formed from a Mount St.
Helens eruption 1900 years ago. I also have to mention that it is extremely cold in this cave (about 40 degrees). Since I was unaware of this, we didn't exactly come in warm clothing. My kids were both freezing the entire time. Megan was so scared to go in that we literally had to pull her. We hiked about 30 minutes in and then turned around and came back out. Even though the kids complained a whole lot, I am sure that they will be happy the did it (It just may take them a few years to register that happiness).

Megan and Jackson with Uncle Derek. Sadie loved Derek and spent much of the trip cuddled up to him.


Although Megan and Jackson didn't enjoy the caves much, Sadie didn't mind them a bit. She was extremely content in her carrier and didn't make a peep the entire time. Luckily I did have a jacket for her in the car.

We spent the rest of the day playing at the cabin. There were so many things to do. Tennis, volleyball, pool,
foos ball, hiking, a playground, not to mention a whole lot of area for the kids to run free.
I have to note Megan's injury tally for the day. She was hit by a ball twice (each hit left her with a big bruise). She fell off a swing onto her head (she still has a goose egg on the back of it). And she burnt herself with the lantern from the cave 2 times (once on her arm and once on her finger-they both left big blisters). Not to mention we had a bathroom issue that I won't even go into. I almost locked her in the room so she couldn't get hurt anymore.
Day 3:
On day 3 we packed up to go to Eric's parents house about 1 1/2 hours away. On the way we stopped at Mount St.
Helens. I had never been and really wanted to go. It added a couple of hours to our trip but it was worth it.

When we first arrived there was a big cloud covering the top of the mountain.

However by the time we watched the movie about the eruption and climbed to the top viewing area, the cloud had moved, and we had a great view.

I am including this picture of Eric and Jackson because anytime anyone would ask Jackson to pose for a picture he would do this crazy bent knee model pose. At least he wasn't sticking his tongue out like he usually does.

Sadie playing the drums. I don't think it would have been possible for Sadie to have been any better on this trip. I think it was because she loves to be held, and there were plenty of people around to do that. She was so content and happy the entire time.
Day 4:
Eric's parents 40
th wedding anniversary was the day of Megan's baptism, so we all celebrated it this last Saturday. A couple of Eric's brothers made an amazing video that we all contributed pictures for. It was set to music and celebrated the 40 years they had been married.


Don't they look so in love?
We also got new family pictures taken. Here are some of them.

Eric's family

Eric's parents will the
grandkids
Eric with his brothers and parents
We had so much fun with everyone. We got to see so many new things, had plenty of time to hang out, ate a lot of great food, and played plenty of games. In my view, it was pretty perfect.
7 comments:
1-I need to hear about the bathroom story
2-I just bought Eli the same shirt that Jackson is wearing in the family pictures
3-Looks like a FUN vacation!
4-I can't believe how much his brothers all look alike!-and his dad!
5-Cute family picture!
6-How cold was it in the rain swimming?
What a fun family! I loved the family pictures. I'm impressed with all the things you did!
It looks like an amazing trip! I just love doing family things like that, they make the best memories. I love your hair Sarah!
Hey Sarah. It was so good to see you guys. It seems like it was over before I knew it! I wish we had some more time to talk and hang out - with Kate and her naps and sleep I didn't get to just visit as much as I would have liked. I guess that means we will need to make a trip to L.V., hopefully sometime in the near future!
We have such a small extended family, I just love seeing these huge family reunion photos - in hopes we'll someday be able to see our family this large!
Your experience at the Ape Caves sounds like a fun adventure. It was a favorite one while growing up! Did you guys go through Battle Ground? This is where I grew up! Anyway, fun photos Sarah - so glad you had a great time :)
I love the washington coast! so envious you got to spend some time there!
I love the washington coast! so envious you got to spend some time there!
Post a Comment