Thursday, March 13, 2008

Elizondo Honor Day

Today was a very special day at Megan's school. Once a year on March 13th they hold Elizondo Honor Day to honor Raul Elizondo, the police officer that her school is named after. He was killed in the line of duty in 1995, just a few months after being named police officer of the year in 1994. The Air Force Base, Police, Fire Fighters, and community leaders all come out for a parade and ceremony. Here are some pictures of our day.

The kids are asked to wear their Elizondo t-shirts, and told to bring a hat and sunscreen since they are outside for most of the afternoon. They are also given dogtags each year with the date and their school name on them. It was about 15 degrees hotter last year, so this weather was a welcome change.

All of the police, military, and fire vehicles circle the school and wave to the kids. Here is a picture of one of the K-9 vehicles. During the ceremony the K-9 unit does a presentation with their dogs for the kids.

The police officers on horses closed the parade. I think they got the biggest applause out of everyone.

Lastly, here is a picture of Jackson posing with all of the motorcycles. Megan is zoned for a new school next year which makes me a little sad. Elizondo gets a lot of support from our community and I will especially miss this great event they put on each year.

7 comments:

Melissa B said...

Looks like your kids had fun! What a beautiful day to be outside! I know we have enjoyed this weather too. Are you zoned for Scott, the new one they are building next to the pig farm, next year?

Sarah said...

We are zoned for Jesse Scott.

Rachael said...

Funny that Alexis went there one year and I had no idea that they went all out and did this. I just remember her coming home with the dog tags. I was pregnant with Eli so I don't even have an excuse that a child was napping. Oh well...looks like it was fun!

Matt & Mandy Evans said...

Hi Sarah, I saw that you had a blog so I wanted to add you to mine and I wanted to make sure that is ok since I am your new visiting teacher.. it was good to visit with you the other day, you have such a cute house. It will be good to get to know you better!

Sarah said...

That's great Amanda. I will add you too.

Melody said...

Sounds like a good thing for the kids to do and experience!

Amy said...

Wow! What a cool day. I love the pic of Jackson with the motorcycles, with his hands in his pockets. So dang cute!