Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Drive In

In all my years (that's 35 in case you are keeping track) I have never been to a drive in movie. Ever. Which is kind of ridiculous since we have one right here in town. So this past weekend we went to the double feature of The Smurfs 2 (I love the Smurfs with my whole heart) and Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters.
Before arriving we stopped at a gas station and Eric happened to see these awesome Smurf gummy candies for sale!

Kismet!!



We arrived, tuned our radio to the correct station and set up camp, in the form of an open hatch and a few chairs:



Not only is it relatively cheap to visit the drive in, but the snacks are relatively cheap too:



Soon the Smurfs started. We were all enthralled:



They could not be more adorable.



The first movie started at 7:45, which meant movie #2 did not start until 9:45. I was already tired, and Sade was too:



She didn't quite make it to the end:



Our drive in movie experience was almost perfect, except for one major caveat. It being that the movie showing next to you is in full view at all times. Which is particularly AWFUL when that movie is "You're Next." In case you are not familiar with the title, it is a new horror movie that is quite possibly the most disturbing thing I have seen in quite some time. Eric and I had to rig up a special barrier made of pillows to block the kids view. It saddens me but I don't think we will be able to go back.

In happy news, we thought of an awesome Smurf moniker for Sade:

Inappropriate Smurf.

It couldn't be more perfect.

5 comments:

The Hardy's said...

We were just talking about going to the drive-in, maybe we'll rethink that idea. How was Percy Jackson? Kendyl really wants to see it.

chercard said...

That same thing happened to us at the drive in but it was on both sides. I complained and wrote letters but apparently to no avail! Why do they have to put the horror flick next to the family one??

Kellie DeMille said...

We have been to the drive in several times and never had a horror movie playing near. How weird! I enjoy the drive in but I am always worried about running our car battery down because it happened once and we had to get a jump around 12am. Stressful! My kids also like to collect all of the beer bottle tops which gross me out. I hope there weren't too many nightmares after "You're Next". Tyson would have been sleeping with us for a week!

Rachael said...

We use to go to Drive Ins as a kid all the time!!!!!! That is a bummer that they would put that movie on next to family-ish movies! Makes no sense!

Kate said...

I've never been to a drive in! Jealous!