Monday, July 16, 2012

Northern Arizona - Day 1

A couple of weeks ago we took a mini-trip to Northern Arizona. Eric had two jobs to do in Williams and then another in Holbrook. There are a few perks to going out of town with Eric when he has work to do:

1) Our gas is paid for

 2) Our hotel is paid for

AND

3) He is usually working at hotels that have pools! So while he works, we swim.



After he finished he jobs we went to BEARIZONA in Williams. It was fantastic! I would totally recommend going if you are out that way.




We were immediately greeted by Buster the BEARIZONA mascot.



I sort of had to force Megan to be in this picture:



Our first stop was the High Country Raptors show. Jackson, Sadie and I were right in their flight path. As they quickly flew overhead they grazed our hair a few times. It was freaky!



In this next picture you can kind of seeing it getting ready to fly right over Jacksons head:



They had this cool bird that collected donations and then dropped them in the donation box. Brilliant!:



After the bird show we explored the outdoor area where they keep lots of animals, and visited the petting zoo:



We could have watched the bear cubs ALL DAY LONG. They were so ridiculously, playfully cute:



As I was reading the map this goat hopped up on the fence and tried to eat it:



This poor goat seemed upset the whole time we were there. He kept continually hitting his head against this tree. I realize they do this, but it seemed a bit extreme. I think he may have been depressed:



The foxes were located right next to the petting zoo. The poor things were furiously digging around the fence trying to get to the chickens housed right next door. I can't imagine their frustration!



More pics:





After exploring the outdoor area, it was time to climb into our car and drive around the 2 mile loop to see the bigger animals. You basically drive down the road and see the animals in their natural environment. There are no barriers. Except of course your car.



We often found the animals hanging out in the middle of the road and just had to wait for them to move on by. It was kind of surreal seeing huge bears walk right up next to your car.





After exploring the entire park it was time to head off to Holbrook and rest up for Day 2.

3 comments:

Kellie DeMille said...

Oh my heck, I would freak out with only my car as a barrier between my kids and wild animals! Wait a minute my kids are wild animals!! They would feel right at home in Bearizona :) I love the depressed goat, too funny!! Poor Megan, she is finally 12 and her Mom still makes her pose with mascots.

chercard said...

I think we need to visit Williams...looks so fun!

Rachael said...

Did you have visions of Jurassic Park??