Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Grand Canyon - Day 1

Eric was asked to do a job at the Grand Canyon the week after Christmas. And since we were already going to be in Arizona, and since the kids didn't have school, and since we were going to get a free hotel room, and since our gas was going to be paid for, we went with him! We arrived late. Now you may remember that I was having a rotten, no good day, so when we checked into our hotel room and discovered they had given us a room with one bed, even though we were told multiple times we would have a room big enough to fit our entire family, I was livid! You may be thinking to yourself: "Well, Sarah it was free, and beggars can't be choosers." But to that I say: "We were very specific and told them that our entire family was coming, and they promised us a bigger room." Deep breathe. Long story short, they brought us two roll away beds to fit into the tiny room, and ended up moving us to a big room the next day (after I threw a bit of a fit). Anyway, the good news was that we were at the Grand Canyon! Woo-Hoo.


The first day, while Eric worked, the kids and I ventured out. Sade wasn't happy. I suppose it was her turn to have a no good, rotten day. The first half of the day she was difficult, as evidenced by the first couple of pics I took. I am kind of in love with them:


But then we went to the Visitors Center to watch a movie about the Grand Canyon, and Sadie fell asleep. She took a 20 minute nap and woke up a different girl. Happy as could be.


The Grand Canyon was packed! The first day we had to drive around for half an hour to find a parking space. We then ventured onto a shuttle bus to visit a few overlooks. It was a bit of a mistake. Due to the crowds, the buses filled up fast, and people had to wait a long time to get a ride back to the Visitors Center. Luckily the kids and I were at the right place at the right time, and managed to snag a ride.

Jackson and I waiting at the bus stop:


We spent the rest of the day exploring and taking pictures:


Looking over the edge:


That evening, after dinner at Wendy's, we went back to the hotel for some swimming. Although I had my complaints about the hotel, it was actually super, super nice.


See Day 2 below..............

2 comments:

Rachael said...

I want to take the kids to the Grand Canyon! Steve and I went...maybe Alexis was born I can't remember...should have done it when Steve's grandpa still had a house in Flagstaff!

Kellie DeMille said...

I've never been to the grand canyon but once took a wrong turn and had to drive all the way around it. My Mom still brings it up at family functions. In my defense I was 17 and couldn't quite understand maps yet. I love Sadie's faces in the "mean faced" pictures. She is such a character!