Monday, August 3, 2009

Thongs

Don't worry this post is not about thong underwear, but rather thongs as in flip-flops or known around the world as chappals, jandels, pluggers, or go-ahead (courtesy of Wikipedia). Anyway, today while driving in the car I happened to mention to my children that when I was little we called flip-flops, thongs. And it got me thinking, at what point did I stop calling them thongs? Was it the pressure from the rest of the world calling them flip-flops, or with the rise of thong underwear did it just get confusing as to what thong I might be referring to. By the way, Australians exclusively use the term thong. Possibly there was a large secret Australian population in Cache Valley (where I grew up), that blanketed the city with the term, forcing all of us to forget about the more popular moniker flip-flop. So I am curious,

"Did you grow up using the term THONG?
Also how many pairs of THONGS do you own"?


I myself have 10 pairs, and I wear every last one of them. Except for the purple ones. Really those could be thrown away. Hideous!

4 comments:

Rachael said...

In Hawaii growing up we called them slippers. When we moved to California we learned that the "mainland" called them thongs or flip flops and slippers were the fuzzy shoes you wear around the house. So I had to conform and use a different term. There are a few terms that I had to drop like "Lets grind" in Hawaii meant lets eat. As you can see I HAD to change that!!!

Jossie said...

I totally used to call them thongs! I really do think with thong underwear coming into the picture, it got too confusing, which is when I switched to calling them flip flops :-) I probably own about 15 pair and right now I only wear my black pair from Old Navy. They're pretty much the only pair that fit my fat, swollen feet :-)

Kellie DeMille said...

I don't really remember calling them anything. I am not a fan. They bug my toes so I wear slip on sandals. Sad to say my kids won't wear them either and we had a lovely meltdown with Tyson the one time I insisted.

Vegasarnolds said...

I called them thongs growing up in California, but now call them flip flops. I'm not sure when I changed? I have two pairs, both brown. They are the only shoes I like to wear, but Jon reminds me they aren't shoes!