Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Their First Day

Yesterday was the first day of school. I had mixed emotions sending them back out into the real world. I really enjoyed our non-scheduled life. But real-life always interferes, and we can't hang loose forever. But another month might have been nice.

My Kindergartner. He was very excited to go this morning. As he lined up to go into his classroom he looked very stoic. He knew he had a job to do, and he was determined to do it.

Some highlights of his first day:

He said his day was not just good, it was great.
He was able to play outside.
They were able to go to the library and read books.
He said he did not talk the entire time he was there, except to tell another kid that they had turtles in the library.
I told him he could talk if he needed to, but he told me he just didn't have any questions to ask anyone.
He told me that a couple of kids had gotten into trouble, and couldn't believe kids would be bad on their first day.
When I asked him if he was excited that he got to go back to school tomorrow, he said, "Yep it's not like the old days." (meaning pre-school when he only went 3 days a week)
All in all, I could tell he had a lot of fun.

Megan also started 4th grade. She made it very clear that I did not need to walk her into class. She felt perfectly capable of doing it on her own. Of course she did! She is my independent soul. She also made it clear that she would not be wearing a skirt the first day. I reminded her that last year she was disappointed when she didn't wear a skirt and all of the the other girls had one on, but I could not sway her. By the way, she was not disappointed in her choice this year. Apparently there were a lot more girls wearing pants.

Some highlights:

Her favorite part of the day was seeing all of her friends.
She said her teacher was very nice and she liked her class.
Her class made posters on character qualities. She made a poster about responsibility.
They made their own name tags.

This little woman also enjoyed school. While visiting Jackson's classroom, I could not tear her away from these small chairs.

6 comments:

marie eldredge said...

Sarah, just in case you didn't know, you're kids are darned cute.

marie eldredge said...

"your" not "you're" :)

Rachael said...

I can't believe little Jackson is in Kindergarten! I love that he didn't talk at all and was shocked that kids got into trouble. Alexis told me two boys got in trouble yesterday and I too was shocked that they would start out the year like that...especially when one if them is the secretary's son-he's a trouble maker!
Alexis wore a skirt! Too funny!

Sheree Flick Photography said...

I have mixed emotions about my pre-schoolers moving on too. First I'm :(, then I'm :) I'm glad they had fun!

Kellie DeMille said...

Too cute! I'm glad Jackson wasn't a kid who got in trouble the first day. It's going to be a long year for the other boy's mothers!

Amy Darrington-Baird said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love your blog!