Thursday, July 17, 2008

Last Day

School finally ended today. Megan had a really great year, and learned a lot. Yesterday was the awards assembly, followed by a program her teacher had prepared for her class. They signed the star-spangled banner and performed a play. Megan did a great job, and I was really proud of her for memorizing her part.


I was really excited for Megan to start second grade because she had a great teacher. However, half-way through the year her teacher got cancer, and had to leave. Sadly, she died a few weeks ago. I was really concerned how having this happen was going to affect Megan and the other kids. Megan had been very close to her and loved having her as a teacher. She was able to come and visit with the kids before she died which I think probably helped them. The day she came home from school and told me she had died, Megan said, "At least she is in a much better place now." It was a really sad event, but luckily Megan's school was able to find a replacement teacher (Mrs. Groome) very quickly, and she did a wonderful job.

* On a side note, after school Megan got in the car and dropped a note in the front seat. I reached over and read it and found out it was from a boy in her class professing his love for her. Megan was disgusted and immediately gave the note to Sadie to destroy. I told Megan that I would be excited to get a note like that. She then said, "Hello Mom. I am only in the second grade."

4 comments:

Cardalls said...

Love her comments about the note! That is hilarious, just remind her of it when she is 16!

so sad about her teacher :(

Eric said...

How come I have to read the blog to find out about this? Do I need to have a sit down with this young man!? I didn't think I'd have to worry about my little girl for at least a couple more years. I am very proud of her for the hard work and effort she puts into school and everything she does.

Rachael said...

That is funny! I love that boys are pouring their hearts out to her and she could totally care less! Funny girl!

Melissa B said...

So sad to hear about her teacher. Glad Megan has a positive perspective.

She is awfully cute, I'm sure that won't be the last note she gets from a boy!