20. At church we drew names of other people in the Ward, and were asked to do an act of service for them. We drew two names. We knew who the first family was, but we had no idea who the second person was. There was no phone number, and no one knew anything about him. We were told we could choose another name, but both Eric and I really felt like we shouldn't. Although we had no phone number, we did have an address. So the kids and I spent one afternoon baking up a lot of different Christmas treats, and then packed them up in a basket to deliver them. That night, after Eric got home, we headed over to his house. I was a bit nervous, because I had no idea what the reception was going to be. We knocked on the door, and waited. We could hear a woman inside telling him to answer the door, and then we saw her checking us out through the window. Eventually he came to door, at which time we discovered he was mentally disabled. He lives in his house with 3 other men. They all hold down jobs and pay their rent. They have a caseworker (the woman that was looking at us through the window), who spends a lot of time at their house making sure things run smoothly. They warmly invited us in, and we were able to explain who we were. We asked him if he would like to start coming to church, and he enthusiastically responded with "yes"! His caseworker was so helpful, and since he is required to to have someone with him at all times, she is arranging for someone to take him to and from church, and stay with him while he is there.
I'm so grateful we didn't put his name back.
21. Make thank-you letters, and deliver treats to the garbage men. We had been trying to do this one for weeks, but kept missing them. Finally on Wednesday we sat outside and waited. And waited. And waited. And it worked! We caught them. After delivering the cards, and goodies, we went back inside. A little while later, I went back outside, and discovered they had put my garbage can up by my garage. I thought it was so sweet. And......today (Saturday) they did it again!
22. Go Ding Dong Ditching:
My kids, love, love, love to do this. They eagerly await Halloween time so we can Boo other families.
Running back to the car:
23. Leave Christmas greetings, in the form of sticky notes, on random cars:
24. Distribute crayons and coloring books to children:
First we went to the library, but there were no kids there! So we changed our plan and went to the park.
Bonus item:
As we were leaving the park I spied Jackson over by a garbage can. When I looked closer I discovered he was throwing away some garbage he had found on the ground.
Merry Christmas Eve!

3 comments:
Sarah: You have truly inspired me. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading about all your acts of kindness, and I have made a list of all the things that you have done, and I really want to try to do this next year with my family! Koodos to you and your family for all the unselfish acts that you did for so many. I'm sure that you will be blessed for all of your efforts!
I second Karen's comments! You totally have inspired me to do more!
That is awesome that the guy who's name you picked is going to come to church!!!
You guys are the best! I wish I would have given the garbage men a treat, I hate hauling the cans up to the house. Being kind really does pay off! (who knew?!?)
Post a Comment