Monday, December 19, 2011

Christmas Kindness - Part 2

The list continues:

13.  I'm unsure if I should actually count this as service, since there is practically nothing I love more than a newborn, but I am counting it anyway. Sade and I were able to babysit this little 6 week old for a few hours this week. It is a tough call, but Sade may love babies even more than me.


14. While running errands, we have made sure to put money in the Salvation Army buckets anytime we see them:


15. While shopping at Wal-Mart, Eric and I were approached in the parking lot for money by a woman and her child. I was grateful for her approach, and that we had a little money on us.

16. Bring thank you letters and doughnuts to the firefighters.


After ringing the doorbell, and delivering the goods, they invited us in for a tour! Another immediate blessing.


We all agreed the fire trucks looked so much larger than we imagined them to be. Posing with their new hats:


17. Make and distribute kits to the homeless. Our kits included food items, and a warm pair of socks.


They were a bit harder to distribute than I anticipated. To find the homeless you have to generally travel to areas of town where they congregate.  I tend to believe I am NEVER in harms way, even in the most, so-called,  "dangerous" of areas. Luckily I have Eric who travels to these areas a lot more frequently than I do, to let me know that I have to be somewhat careful. We had heard from friends that you have to be cautious when handing out things in this particular area of North Las Vegas, because you can quickly be swarmed by people. I took the advice, and determined to hand them out to individuals who were alone. So far, I have been able to give out two. One to a homeless man in the "dangerous" part of town, who also informed me not to go near the soup kitchen, or I would be mobbed (how nice of him to look out for my welfare), and one to a man who came up to our car (at our neighborhood Wal-Mart), looking for help. I was so grateful to have these in the car! Eric and I determined that he would take the rest of them in his truck, to distribute, as he sees a lot more homeless people than I do.

18. Drop change at a playground for children to find:


19. People that use the laundromat are another group of people I have a soft-spot for. There was a week 10 YEARS AGO, when we were moving from an apartment to our house, that we had to use the laundromat. Only one week! and I gained such an appreciation for those who have to do it on a regular basis. I am so blessed. So for out 19th ROAK (random act of kindness), we went back to the laundromat we used 10 years ago, and left quarters in a number of washing machines:


We have at least 5 more to complete, and have 6 days to do it. I am hopeful.

3 comments:

Rachael said...

You are amazing and I am happy to call you my friend! How sweet of you!

chercard said...

What wonderful ideas! I agree with Rachael on the amazing part!

Kellie DeMille said...

I love the leaving money on a playground for children to find. It makes my kids SO hapy to find a lucky penny. I am very impressed by the wide range of ROAK's that you are doing. And please do not venture to the "dangerous" parts of Vegas by yourself, I do not want to be interviewed by George Knapp on my good intentioned but sadly missing for 5 days friend! You guys are awesome!!!!