Friday, February 12, 2010

Five For Friday-Valentine Edition

1. When I think of Valentine's Day, I automatically think of the shortened version, VDay. Which in turn makes me either think of venereal disease day, or vagina day. Anyone else?

2. Yesterday I did two things for my children, that I dislike. I was going to use the word despise, but that only goes for one of the two things. The first thing I dislike is:

Baking

Why did I volunteer to bring cookies to the class parties? I could have just as easily signed up for juice boxes or chips. You know, something I could purchase. I suppose I could have purchased cookies, but last night at 8 o'clock I didn't feel like leaving the house. I also didn't feel like making cookies, but chose the lesser of two evils. However, halfway into the process I realized I was out of eggs. Thank goodness I have kind neighbors. And thank goodness most of these cookies left my house today. You know I can't have a sugar cookie within 1000 feet of me.

At least I always have a good helper.

3. The second thing that I despise, or you could even say I have extreme hatred for is:

Glitter

For some reason Santa had a mental lapse in judgement, and brought Megan make your own glittered butterfly cards. Both Megan and Jackson determined that they must make these to give to their teachers for Valentine's Day, so I acquiesced, and in turn have glitter covering my house for at least the next 2 months.

4. Last month I found a photo web-site that gave me 29 free Valentine's cards just by creating an account. So I signed Eric and I up, and received free cards for Megan and Jackson. I was rather excited about these cards, and enjoy how they turned out.

However, when I showed Jackson he did not share my enthusiasm. Instead, he burst into tears. So in lieu of ruining his Kindergarten Valentine dreams, I purchased some HotWheels Valentines from Wal-Mart, and everything was once again right in his world.

5. Megan and Jackson's school truly has THE BEST crossing guards on the planet. All last year, and until a month ago we had a crossing guard named Mr. Bill, who we all loved. We were very sad to lose him, but were more than delighted when Miss Lil took his place. She gets to know the kids, and has been know to give them little treats after school. Today was no exception. This morning she had a basket of Valentine's Day cards and candy to hand out to all of the kids. She goes the extra mile, and is fab-u-lous! It was also heart-warming to see all of the kids coming to school loaded down with valentines and treats to share with their classes. I love when people participate in a holiday!

"Do you have any fun Valentine's plans?"

7 comments:

Vegasarnolds said...

I guess we should have had a sugar cookie baking party! I was baking cookies and frosting some last night too! Also, I love the Valentine's you got for free! They are adorable and how can you beat that price!

Rachael said...

Oh the VDay comment cracked me up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate making sugar cookies!!! I saw that crossing guard today with a basket and wondered if she was really giving out treats...what a great idea and a great lady!!!

Melissa Summers said...

This has been the easiest valentines day in years. I had no valentines to make or anything to take to a class party. I only had to buy valentines for my 3 students!! :) We never have fun plans for Valentines. I don't really care either. BTW...you have such a way with words I love it.

Cardalls said...

yay for great crossing guards! we have a great one too...no treats but he knows the kids names! I am quite boring when it comes to Vday....(now I will never think of it the same :)

Sheree Flick Photography said...

I heart your Valentine cards, and am glad Jackson was happy again with his hot wheel cards. I too have a strong hatred for glitter! Bonus points for you for still letting them have fun with it.

Amy said...

You're so funny Sarah! Hope you had a happy "V-Day". What a sweet crossing guard.

Brooke Low said...

I too will never think the same of "v-day" after reading your post! We attempted sugar cookies this year and they were a failure. Matthew told me they all threw the cookies away at his preschool.