Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Livin It Up In Laughlin

Sunday afternoon Eric suggested we pack up and head out to Laughlin for a quick getaway. I am always up for a spontaneous night away, so I was all for it.

We stayed at Harrah's which was really quite beautiful. Especially outside. We arrived in the dark, but trust me when I tell you there is a beautiful pool behind us along with the Colorado river.

However when we got to our room we discovered it had not been cleaned, and there were bags full of garbage in it. But on a happy note, when we informed the hotel, they upgraded our room!

After our half-price breakfast buffet the next morning (when you don't go on a Fri. or Sat. night you get all sorts of free or discounted items), we headed out to explore the private beach for hotel guests.

We had the entire beach to our ourselves, and it was seriously relaxing. Unfortunately we had to check out of our hotel, and leave it behind.

However before we left the kids were insistent on playing at the arcade.

With our 100 tickets we won Eric and I convinced the kids to choose the Whoopee Cushion. The amount of entertainment it provided the remainder of the day was well worth the money we had to spend to win it.

Megan came down with a sudden fever, to go along with her cough and stuffy nose, so we had to take a detour to the Dr.'s. Who knows what she has, but they gave her a prescription for Tamiflu, so for once I am hoping it is viral and she will get better quickly. Oh, and also that the rest of us don't come down with it. Megan has had a tough sickness year. Just to mention, the Dr.'s visit along with the prescription ended up costing us more than the whole trip! Good grief!

We were going to head over to Oatman about 30 minutes away to visit an old ghost town, but given Megan's illness we decided instead to check out a couple of places that were more on the way home.

Jackson checked out the view from Davis Dam (the other 2 kids were asleep). And what a view it was.

Check out how blue that river water is.

We then headed over to Grapevine Canyon to check out some Native American petroglyphs and climb the rocks.


As usual, Sadie was none too please to be told what to do. Heaven forbid we ask her to sit still for one picture!

The weather was so beautiful, and being there during the late afternoon was perfect. Jackson noticed this mini-cliff with soft sand underneath it, and decided to jump off. We then all got in on the action, and had the most fun I can remember having in a while.

Jackson was definitely the best jumper. He jumped with complete abandon, and fell head first into the sand many times. But by doing so, he also got the best pictures.

Check out how much air he got, along with his arms flung out behind him. He was cracking us all up.

Even though Megan wasn't feeling 100% she too got in on the action.

With a little help from Eric, Sadie insisted she not be left out of the fun.

I jumped twice, and that was more than enough for me. The first jump ended up with me rolling down the hill and landing on my face. Good thing the sand was soft.

Eric was a pro-jumper. Just seeing him do this made me fall a bit more in love with him. I didn't even know that was possible.


We have been to Laughlin twice and I have really enjoyed myself both times. There is plenty of outdoorsy stuff to do with kids, and if you go during the week, it is super cheap.

10 comments:

Kellie DeMille said...

Wow, what a fun little trip. I am envious, I would need a u-haul to have a night away from the house. I LOVE the jumping pictures!!

Melissa Summers said...

I am soooo jealous of all the fun trips you do. I would love to go explore all the places Nevada has to offer but I don't really know any. The jumping pictures are the best. Your kids are so blessed to have you and Eric for parents. You are making awesome memories all the time.

bloodfamily said...

Man you guys have so many fun adventures. In the picture by the water with your kids you look like a teenager - so young! I love the jumping pictures, but am sad that Megan got sick. It sucks having ill children. I'm glad that you guys made the best of it though.

Rachael said...

I love it...love how spontaneous you all are! Love the pictures of you all jumping!!! So sad for Megan! She has had a rough year! Hope she gets better quickly!!! Laughlin looks cool!

Ralaina said...

You guys are so fun!!! I love doing those kinds of things and definately don't do it enough. The pictures are amazing! What great famiy memories. We did that with my family when we were younger and they are our very best memories. You are such cute parents. You look amazing by the way Sara :) Sorry Megan got sick. I hope the rest of you didn't get it and she is feeling better.

Sheree Flick Photography said...

You guys are SO FUN!!!

Cardalls said...

We have got to take some lessons from you and just be spontaneous and make memories. Those jumping pictures made me want to find that place and go jumping!

Melissa B said...

What a fun quick trip. Hope Megan feels better soon.

Amy Darrington-Baird said...

Another McClellan family adventure! Your kids are going to have great memories! Sorry about Megan, hope she is feeling better soon.

marie eldredge said...

You caught some nice air, Sarah. I'm impressed. What a fun outing. Good on ya!