Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Labor Day Weekend

I did a blog post right before Labor Day weekend, where I stated I was ready to break free of the confines of my home and have some fun. Well I am happy to report that we did. Late Friday afternoon I received a call from Marty that he was passing through town on his way to California. He told me he would be to our house in one hour which meant I had to quick get ready, but the kids loved it since they didn't have to wait long for Grandpa Marty to get here.

He brought Megan these flowers which she was thrilled about.


We all went out to dinner at Outback, which was very enjoyable. We hardly ever go to Outback because I am not much of a steak fan, but it was so good I am sure we will be going back again soon.

He ended up staying the night with us, and the next morning took the kids to pick out toys at Wal-Mart. Megan will peruse the aisles looking for something, but Jackson has a one-track mind and will only look at the HotWheels aisle.

It didn't take long for Sadie to choose what she wanted either. After he left we must have had so much fun because we were all exhausted. We didn't even go out to dinner on Saturday night, which is really unheard of around our house.

Nothing much to note about Sunday except for I made The Pioneer Woman's potato bundles. I think I added a bit too much cream, but would still recommend them. And look how cute they look all wrapped up.

On Monday we decided to head to Valley of Fire. It states quite plainly on the brochure that the best times to visit are during the spring and fall, but we threw caution to the wind and went anyway. I will first say that it was of course HOT, but still a whole heck of a lot of fun. And since I am incapable of picture cutting, here are a ton of them.

Hanging with the rocks.

Visiting the cabins they made for travelers in the 1930's.

Picnicking.

Since we had the kids, and it was hot, we decided to take the short 1/2 mile hike that highlighted petroglyphs. They were amazing.

Hiking in sand was harder than I remember it being.

Sadie didn't get much hiking time in, but got quite a bit of riding time.

We got to the end and knew we had to turn around and hike back out. By this time we were all exhausted and dying of thirst! I remember thinking to myself before we started the hike that we probably wouldn't need our water bottles since it was so short. I was WRONG.

So our walk back included a couple of shade breaks to play in the sand.

We were all worn out, and needed a break, so we decided to spend a bit of time looking at the rocks from our car. But before leaving, we made one more stop to see more petroglyphs.

We headed home and went to dinner at the Olive Garden. For those of you that don't know it is never-ending pasta time! It is my favorite time of year at the Olive Garden.

Looks like it is Sadie's favorite time of the year too!

7 comments:

Melissa Summers said...

Love Sadie's face in the last picture. I am sure I have said this before but I really need to go to Valley of Fire sometime. I think I will wait until Fall or Spring though. Who is Marty?

Kellie DeMille said...

That last picture of Sadie is too cute, because Taylor is doing the same face for some reason. It started the other day, both fists in the air and scrunching up the face as hard as she can. What a fun Labor day!

bloodfamily said...

It seems that you guys are always doing something fun. Glad that you were able to get out of your rut of being home all the time. I think those flowers for Meghan was such a cute idea. No flowers for you though? I like how Sadie chose her own toy after squatting and looking at everything. Too cute! I haven't tried the potato bundles, but I think that I will - they look yummy. I have tried her shrimp, and I was impressed. Red Rock looks like lots of fun too. What fun memories. Love Sadies attitude. But I think if I tried it - it wouldn't be so cute!

Sarah said...

Karen, I received flowers too! And Melissa, Marty helped raise me and so is like a Dad to me. My kids call him Grandpa. I really need to do the thing where I receive an e-mail message when someone makes a comment, so I can comment directly back to the person. Oh well!

Jossie said...

Looks like so much fun! I'm jealous that you did fun things...we stayed pretty close to home just in case I went into labor :-)

Kate said...

Marty looks just the same! I love that you said, "throw caution to the wind." So funny.

Rachael said...

Looks like a ton of fun! And to think you made dinner for me this night too...why didn't you just invite us to Olive Garden! JK-we should go sometime soon!